Custom singlecut electric guitar

Hello all. I am new to the forum so I thought I would introduce myself. This is a great place. I have poked around a bit already. I have just finished an electric guitar for a client and I thought I would post some pictures of it here.

I usually take a lot of pictures of the process I go through and I would be happy to post anything you might be interested in seeing. I have been given a lot of help from the luthirie community and I enjoy giving back so let me know what I can share with you.

The specs:

Body: Curly Black Limba (heavy chambering leaving 3/8" back thickness)

Neck: Black Limba (2 grpahite tubes flank the truss rod)

Top: Quilted Maple

Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood

Scale Length: 25" (24 frets)

Pickups:

Bridge: Seymour Duncan JB Model (SH-2)

Neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz Model (SH-4)

Switching: 5-way, 1 Tone, 1 Volume with series/parallel push/pull

1. Neck Humbucker series/parallel

2. Inner Coils series/parallel

3. Neck and Bridge Humbuckers series/parallel

4. Outer Coils series/parallel

5. Bridge Humbucker series/parallel

Hardware:

Bridge: TonePros tune-o-matic with ebony tailpiece

Tuners: Schaller M6's

Finish: Brushed on Nitrocellulose Lacquer

guitar02.jpg

guitarback02.jpg

side02.jpg

Very nice!!

Have you had any problems/concerns with the limba neck? I'm currently building a guitar with a black limba neck (with carbon fiber rods) and it's too soon to say if it will hold up or not. I assumed that it would be fine since I have seen other guitars with limba necks and that black limba is a bit stronger than mahogany but I'd love to hear from someone who actually owns one.

You mentioned that it was brushed on nitro: what did you use? Why did you choose to brush it? It looks like it came out perfect.

Very slick. It's always nice to see twists on a classic theme which don't just look like the original re-drawn by a 5 year old :D

You've managed to take the LP and stamp your signature all over it - as well as elegantly addressing the poor upper fret access and slightly clunky heel of the original. Beautiful.

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate it.

I haven't had anthing but success with the limba for necks. It is just as strong and stable as mahogany and as long as the grain is straight I would use it for a neck.

The finsh was applied with a 1-1/4" watercolor brush with nylon bristles. This was the smoothest brush I found and it left very little brush marks. I applied 2 coats of sanding sealer and 2 coats of lacquer before I wet sanded with 400 grit. Then I applied 2 more coats lacquer and sanded smooth until I had 6 coats of lacquer. This was plenty thick enough to get a smooth finish. After a few days I buffed it out with a cotton buffing wheel using first coarse and them fine compound. Just be careful not sand too close to the edges and you should be fine. You can also be sure to always overlap on the edge so you always have enough material there.

Here is the full finishing process:

1. Sand wood to 320 grit.

2. Apply the dye:

a. Apply dark dye all over the top

b. Lightly sand to lighten the dye

c. Apply sunburst colors

d. Repeat until you get what you want

3. Seal with 2 coats vinyl sanding sealer

4. Apply 2 coats of lacquer

5. Wet sand with 400 grit until the finish is smooth (be careful not to sand through to the dye)

6. Apply 2 more coats lacquer

7. Wet sand with 400 grit then 600 grit

8. Apply 2 more coats laquer

8. Wet sand with 400 grit then 600 grit

9. If the finish is looking smooth then stop if not apply 2 more coats then sand.

10. Wait. 2-3 days minimun, 2 weeks is better for the lacquer to cure.

11. Buff out with coarse Mazerna compound (www.Stew-Mac.com)

12. Final buff with fine compund

Hope this helps.

Setch, thanks for the comments. That is what I was hoping to achieve with this design. The Les Paul was definitely an inspiration for the design but I have to say that I am a huge fan of Jimmy D'Aquisto's work with archtop acoustic jazz guitars. These have been a huge influence on my single cut designs.

daveq, To answer your question. I brushed the lacquer on because it was the cheapest alternative to a proper spray booth. When you brush lacquer it goes on a little thicker too so it is easier to build up a good amount of material before you sand it smooth.

Litchfield Custom Guitars, You noticed the bridge idea from Jet guitars. I tried it on one of my guitars and loved the way it works. I always play with my hand resting behind the bridge and the stop tail always seemed too big. This is a great alternative and I can also run strings through the body for more solid contact.

Wow great looking guitar....the sound in the recording is not good to my ears though. The playing and the song is nice, but the distortion of the amp just sounds like a selfmade cheap diode fuzz box to me....I don't want to judge the sound of the guitar btw. it's just that I don't like that distortion sound at all, no matter which guitar you would have used. I think with that sound it won't make much difference if you had used a plywood guitar....lol....please don't get me wrong:

Amazing looking guitar and nice playing but the sound of that amp is nothing for me....

You are right about the recordings. I just recorded straight out from the preamp. The amp is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It is basically a way to test the circuitry in the guitars when I wire them. The tone from the amp speaker with the cabinet and room resonance is actually pretty good but you just can't capture that through a line out. I know it's not the best way to do this but I don't have a studio setup (yet!)

Any tips for recording these?

Beautiful work. I like the looks of the unique cross bracing under the sound hole of your acoustics. All in all fine work. BTW I like the distortion sound on the clip, but i'm deaf so my opinion is slightly tarnished :D .

the back makes me think you just cut down a tree, then carved a guitar out of it, neat...

fantastic finish on the front, the black looks to be really well done on the headstock