And yet another...

Okay, so you're probably wondering what the hell an Ibanez EXJem 13DBK is...well, I'll explain B) I bought an old Ibanez EX body from eBay. After looking at it for days trying to figure out what to do with it, I decided to make what is, as far as I know, the world's first EX series Jem. So I printed out all of Brian's "Turn your guitar into a Jem" tutorials and got to work. Cut out the handle and moved the output jack. I figure out my own method for doing the Lion's claw because I don't have a regular router. I used my Dremel with the smaller sanding heads. After all of that, I decided to make it look like the 7DBK, which is on of my favorite Jems at the moment. Of course, I can't call it a 7DBK, so I'm using MY favorite numer and calling it a 13DBK. I used my favorite trunk spatter paint to get the texture and painted it black. I got a local plastics place to make me a mirrored pickguard. They only charged $35. I had the little spike on the horn go up further than a standard EX pickguard because I think it looks silly. I still need a neck for it. This thing has a strange neck pocket I've never seen before, like an EX version of the AANJ. The screw head inlays should be easy enough. I'll probably drop some Breeds in it later on too, but I've basically done all I can do until I find a neck.

Here's the pics. Enjoy :D

exjemfront.JPG

exjemback.JPG

exjemend.JPG

exjemtrem.JPG

I found out what this thing is :D It's an EX3700 from between '93 and '97. I'm having a hard time finding much information about it though. I know that the neck that belongs on it is a 24 fret. The weird thing is that this one doesn't have the extended fingerboard like most 24s I've seen. As far as I can tell it only extends about as far as a 22 fret would. I found one of the 3700s on eBay. Here's the link EX3700

If anyone knows any more about this type of neck, like whether it came in Rosewood, (or even if a standard neck would fit it) stuff like that, let me know. Thanks

Skot

EX's from that period occupy roughly the same space as the RG3 and 4 series occupies now that is, high end Korean/low end Japanese guitars (well, relatively anyway). They were among the first Ibanezes to have an All Access Neck Joint (which almost all Japanese and Korean bold on IBZ's currently have). Production on the series (though not necessarily that particular model) started around my senior year in high school (around 90 - 91) and I always wanted one.

If memory serves those guitars came with Original Floyd Roses instead of the TRSs that the RG3 & 4s came with.

As far as I know, any regular AANJ Ibanez neck will fit that pocket.

Alright...well, here's another kicker for ya. I tried a regular 22 fret neck on it just to check the scale length, and it doesn't match up. Ibanez wouldn't have made a short scale 24 fretter would they?? I'm going to e-mail them and ask. See, I'm afraid to try a regular AANJ neck, because those are contoured for an offset heel. The heel in this thing is symmetrical. I'll figure something out. If anyone else knows, keep the info coming. And thanks, GEdward for the info. I figured that the only diff between an EX350 and an RG350 is the body. That is what you meant, right? I had an EX350 from probably '89 or '90 that had the regular square neck joint. I also had 2 RG550s from '91 with a square neck pocket. As far as I know, Ibanez started making the rounded ones about '93.

Anyway, I'm back off on the hunt :D

SKot

Alright...well, here's another kicker for ya. I tried a regular 22 fret neck on it just to check the scale length, and it doesn't match up. Ibanez wouldn't have made a short scale 24 fretter would they?? I'm going to e-mail them and ask. See, I'm afraid to try a regular AANJ neck, because those are contoured for an offset heel. The heel in this thing is symmetrical. I'll figure something out. If anyone else knows, keep the info coming.

Interesting about the heel. I noticed that the holes looked somewhat symmetrical, but I figured that was just the angle of the shot.

As bowser said, the block heel necks have a four fret overhangs to accomodate 24 frets (this was the reason behind scalloping the top fouor frets on the original Jems. Not that I understand the logic, but that was the reason) , the AANJ necks have no overhang.

And thanks, GEdward for the info. I figured that the only diff between an EX350 and an RG350 is the body.  That is what you meant, right? I had an EX350 from probably '89 or '90 that had the regular square neck joint.  I also had 2 RG550s from '91 with a square neck pocket. As far as I know, Ibanez started making the rounded ones about '93.

Anyway, I'm back off on the hunt :D

SKot

Nope, '90 - '91 they started putting the AANJ on the USA Customs (the ones with the "tension free" necks) and the high end EX's. I remember seeing an EX3700 at the store where I took lessons my senior year in high school, which would be 90 - 91, it was the first time I'd ever seen an AANJ. The "middle line" guitars (RGs, Jems, Sabers, etc) got them around 94 - 95, if memory serves.