My RG550 rebuilt

To cut a long story short ...

I bought an Ibanez RG550 on eBay, advertised as fantastic condition with brand new neck on it last year. The photo showed a pink one, which are quite rare I beleive. Paid £265 for it. When I got it, it was metallic red with a well worn neck and looked like it had been used as a cricket bat. So out with the sandpaper, filler and aerosol cans. It's now bright yellow with matching headstock. Black logo thanks to the tutorial on this site. Fingerboard refinished, frets re-profiled. DiMarzio Evo's at bridge and neck, all pickups and knobs sprayed flourescent pink. I think it looks the mutts nuts, let me know what you think.

See it here!

There are some other 'in progress' pics, but I like this before and after shot.

Thank you all for your encouraging replies.

In answer to some of the questions:

The spray paint used was standard cellulose car spray paint from a motor store. The colour is Ford Signal yellow over regular white primer and clear coated with regular clear laquer. The pickups were done in flourescent pink cellulose, but with no clear coat.

The single coil has a plastic cover so that was easy to spray. The humbuckers, I removed all the pole pieces and stuffed toilet paper into the holes. I then masked off the rest and gave it a bash.

Yeah! The very beginning of the production, I think. I love what you did to your 550. BTW, couple of days ago I saw at the local shop a 1997 RG 505 DSY finish with green mirror pickguard. Mint! Very similar to your axe, but with a AANJ and newer p-ups (V8/S1/V7). I felt the neck was kinda fatter than on mine RG 550 (I think it's a Wizard II) and no skunk stripe. Oh, well...

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

Sounds pretty cool. I am toying with the idea of a mirror scratchplate, but I don't know how good/bad it would look.

I don't know what the stock pickups were in mine, although they were pretty poor. Still, not a problem anymore with a pair of Evolution's!