1960 Vintage Strat Project

I'm gonna be slowy building a third bass, but my jointer won't be in for a few weeks, so I will finally start on my 1960 relic Strat project I've been putting off.

strat1.jpg

For the first time ever I am using kit parts. The body is 2-piece unfinished Alder, and the neck is a small headstock Strat, Maple/Rosewood unfinished, both from Allparts.

You can also see some of the hardware in the pic. A vintage style steel block trem, neckplate with 5 digit serial #, along with bolts.

The parts I'm excited about are a set of Kluson Deluxe looking tuners and saddles from an old asian Strat copy from the 70's. I got them from a luthier who was replacing the hardware on the guitar. They're cool because they have natural wear, so they will go well with the look of the instrument.

Also in the pic you can see the bootleg decal I got off ebay.

I will be finishing the guitar at my work, because it's cheaper. For the neck I think a good plan will be to seal it, stain the sealer, seal in the stain, apply decal, seal the decal with light dust coats, then one or two more heavy-ish coats, with sanding in between.

For the body, I still not sure if I want to first sealt he body with the clearlacquer, or start with the paint. I think if Istarted with paint, when I do the wearing the paint will wear off the body with a 'grain-ier' look. Once I have the paint on, I will stain the paint with a heavily reduced stain for a yellowed clear coat look, then one or to final coats of clear.

I'm not going to lay on numerous coats, level sand and buff because, especially on the neck, alot of the finish will be perposely worn away. Also I use a really nice gun at my work that already gives an exellent finish.

BTW, it is a lacquer I will be using, but I don't think it's nitro.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Well, thats good news. I cleaned my shop so I could work, and bad things happened. But I decided it was a great time to star my wifes new guitar. Convo fom an old P bass body to a NT strat.

But anyway, I'll start my own thread, and keep us updated.

Knowing you it will be muchas kickasso

your starting to scare me with the use of these kits.

Yeah the violin kit is understandable, but I've just wanted to try using a pre-fab neck and body just for fun.

Did you get the left handed trem?!?!

It's not gonna be an SRV.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Well, keep this in mind. Duplicolr makes tran yellow in spray cans. Its the yellow Metalcast top coat. I smells like cat piss until it cures tho, at least you can tell if it's cured....

Hey, Lex, man,

could you (or anybody who has strats - tsl :D ) post EXACT dims of the strat body, please? I need W and L of the strat body cause I'm working on a blueprint of something like Pensa Suhr which has reduced strat body shape.

I like strats very much. I'm very interested how your relic will come up. Have you seen Sambora's relic custom shop strat with stars inlays? Very nice.

Thanx in advance

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

could you (or anybody who has strats - tsl :D ) post EXACT dims of the strat body, please? I need W and L of the strat body cause I'm working on a blueprint of something like Pensa Suhr which has reduced strat body shape.

stratmeas.jpg

Well, keep this in mind. Duplicolr makes tran yellow in spray cans. Its the yellow Metalcast top coat. I smells like cat piss until it cures tho, at least you can tell if it's cured....

The scent of cat piss would only help make it a more authentic relic :D

I began finishing the neck yesterday.

strat5.jpg

I sealed the neck with lacquer, then tinted it with stain. The first stain I used didn't look right, so I redid it with a much darker, oranger tinted stain. I got it as dark as I could get it, which doesn't look very tinted at all, but I like it. (At least it's not a bright white, like when I first sealed it)

Here I am applying the decal. I used a book for the placement and cutout of the decal.

strat6.jpg

Decal applied.

strat7.jpg

You only mask off the top of the fingerboard. If youmask off the sides you get a nasty seem.

I doubt it's legal, there are a bunch of people selling them, though. When people talk about bootleg decals this is usually where they come from. The quality isn't that good though. It looks great from a few feet away, but up close it's pixel-ish and stuff.