Entry for May 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now openĀ ENTER HERE!

Morben Guitars

Sunbursting With Analine Dyes

Thought that I'd post some pic's & Instructions on sunbursting. I'm REALLY happy with how this last one came out.

1.) Prep the wood!! I sanded to 220 - wet the maple, let it dry, then sanded to 220 again to remove the grain that was raised by the water. I did this twice. Then I blew it out with the air gun, wiped it down with Napheta and blew it out agian. Used a tack rag often as well.

2.) Shot a few coats of Vinyl Sanding Sealer. After a day or so, I sanded this flat with 600 grit. At this point, I can now begin my sunbursting.

Picture of sealed maple:

1.jpg

3.) To sunburst, I decided to use Alcohol Based Analine dyes shot straight through an airbrush. However for the "Center" color (vint. yellow) I just wipped the dye on and ended up with this:

2.jpg

4.) After each color coat, I reshot a coat of Sanding Sealer. This helps deepen the finish, but more importantly it allows you to fix a mistake on one color, without sanding through the previous colors. Second color was "Medium Redish Brown".

3.jpg

1a.jpg

5.) Seal again, let it dry, and shoot the next color. I shot a Dark Chocolate Brown for the third color...Sorry, no pic's of this step. For the last color I used a Black dye (not lacquer). Enough coats and this becomes pretty dark, however it allows the grain to show through until the very edge.

4.jpg

3a.jpg

6.) I should note that I did the sides of the guitar first...I taped off the binding and the top/back of the guitar, and shot Gloss Black Nitro for the sides.

7.) After a few final coats of Sanding sealer, which will be flat sanded, I was ready for the lacquer. I used Parks Nitrocellouse, which went on very well. Take your time with this step! I shot 2 coats a night (seperated by 2 hours) for three days. Typically flat sanding before shooting. Then I let it sit for 4 weeks. Be sure to use Vinyl based sealer...using any other type will disolve the dye and bleed your work...took me a while to find the proper product.

8.) Polishing: I wet sanded the finish using 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and 2000 grit. This takes a long time if done properly! Finally I used a buffer with 3M Machine polish to really get the gleem out. Used a guitar polish from Gibson as the final step.

Result was a mirror finish, the flame in the maple jumps out and shifts dramaticly when the light changes angles.

Side_Angle_of_Body.jpg

that is quite probablly the coolest sunburst i think ive ever seen. i realy love it

Sweet Morben!

I'm thinking about a cherry burst finish on mine but 3 tone sunburst or tobacco burst is cool too. I still just might use Tru-oil for easy application. If you have time could you PM me or reply here about the products you used? (Sealer, dye & paint). Was it from Reranch? :D

Nice tutorial. Thanks! B)

Very sexy Ben!

Love it! :D

You and I are gonna OWN the Tele dept. around here, hehehe...

I've got I think 3 different Tele projects going, and yours are -always- top-flight.

You like to stretch the standard idea of what a Tele is as much as I do B)

don't forget coen's flamed to death tele

Yeah, I thought that might be a dumb-ass thing to say as I was typing it, oh well, won't be the first dumb-assed thing I've ever said, hehehe... :D

Where's coen's Tele, point me to it please? B)

Oh Yeah, I think that got posted right about when I had just joined.

Very nice Coen, I'll just slink back down to the dungeon, curse you all under my breath, gnash my teeth a bit, feed the Carrie another fish head, and shut up now. :DB)

I'm still drooling over the sunburst tele... what a great axe!

I've been thinking about bursting with dye. I don't have no spray equipment. I brush or roll the paint, then sand and polish my ass off.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Coen, if you go to like K mart (or whatevr) and look at model supplies, Testors makes a good small airbrush. I'd work for small projects like a guitar or model car, but dont expect to do a solid color with it.

I was wondering, if I do a airbrush or spray gun finish, (transparent), will there be a multiply effect? What I mean by multiply effect is will some places be darker from overlapping strides of the paint? I'm assuming no because so many people use it and I've never seen anything like that, but I can never be too careful.

Sorry I didn't add a reply, I was in a hurry, but you can check the guitar I'm making now, I am using transparent duplicolor paint and I'm going for a transparent blue burst, instead of te traditional black edge, just spray more coats in the edges and I get a darker shade than in the center.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...ndpost&p=153073

Is it possible to get the same quality result while rubbing it on instead of spraying (using the same steps as in this tut.)

Cheers

(I know about the other sunburst tut, but it has a different way of doing things)

Edited by Dirge for november