Gibson wins case against PRS!

The Gibson 336 is a copy of an Ibanez AM205 (allbeit a very poor example), but you don't see Ibanez sueing them over it. And Ibanez has been the most "sued" guitar company in history. If Gibson was a new company just coming into the market, with what they are building, and how much they charge, they would be out of buisiness in 6 months! You will notice too, that they did not sue Orville. Only because they had plans to buy it. And have. I guess PRS is'nt for sale so they must sue. Oh, also, is'nt half of Gibsons' acoustic offerings blatent Martin ripp offs. Is Martin sueing everyone who made a dreadnought body acoustic? Gibson must just love court. They are a make work program for Lawyers, and a second rate guitar company.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmm. When Gibson sued Ibanez in '76 the courts ruled that you could not patent the shape of a guitars' body. So the only thing that Gibson could do was protect the shape of the headstock. And they won that battle. I realize that Gibson has been trying to trademark the shape of the les Paul body rather than patent, but maybe they failed in that attempt. The human body is shaped in such a way that ergonomically a guitar body can only take on a certain amount of shapes. The origional les paul prototype was a converted acoustic guitar that was made solid. It had no cutaway. The cutaway was added, but other than being solid, the actual shape of the les Paul is not very different from any acoustic guitar. Take away the cutaway and that is what you have. A solid body scaled down version of an acoustic guitar. I don't see anything all that origional or "distinctive" about the shape.

Thanks Maiden. Yes I probably should have known I guess, but I have been very ill for the past year and a bit and am just getting back into building. It was just not all that important for a while. Thanks for the link to the thread.

Well, I'm with you, I ain't ill, but been away from building until next summer... And on top of things I just got Knee surgery last thursday and I'm hatint life right now!

Now just get back to it and show some inprogress pics.