Skull w/ Blue LEDs

B) It's comming along:

G5_SkullFront_sml.jpg

G5_FromBackEnd_sml.jpg

G5_FullShotAngle_sml.jpg

G5_FullShotLeft_sml.jpg

G5_SkullSideNut_sml.jpg

G5_WithBuddies_sml.jpg

I decided to redo the neck from the last pics I posted (a while ago). I wasn't happy with the skull on the last one and I decided against the tilt-back headstock since this is a Kami-inspired guitar.

I put in Black MOP for dots because I wanted to highlight the skull. With the bright white dots, it would have been fine but I like the way that they kinda stay subtle and let the skull have the limelight.

It's an ebony fretboard (compound radius) with a very nice birdseye maple neck (thank you Larry - from Gallery). Jumbo frets from stewmac. I was going to use the birdseye for my RG but it will have to wait. The top is a 5A eastern maple top. 5A means different things to different people but regardless - I like it.

There's lots of sanding left to do. The top is getting a bit dirty so I'll have some clean up to do before staining. It will probably get stained blue and black or blue w/ darker blue. I want blue so it will match with the LEDs.

There's an 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. I wish I put an 89 in the neck (maybe I will?). There's a kill switch for the LEDs and a kill switch for the pickups. 1 vol, 1 tone. The bridge is a Schaller floyd (14" radius). No fretwork done yet. I just strung it up to check it out and it's working great.

Thank you to everyone who helped with great advice along the way!! :D

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

These 2 pics sprung an idea for me to give you.

G5_FullShotLeft_sml.jpg

G5_FullShotAngle_sml.jpg

I thought you could use some very black dye, and it back so it's just on the figure, then a bright orange dye. Then, being as you already have a Lynch thing goin on, it'd be one of these, But done with flamed maple, rather than an airbrush.

M1Tiger.jpg

SunburstTiger.jpg

The finish would be quite similar to a Gibson Joe Perry Boneyard.

Thanks guys-

Litch - yeah - I like those guitars a lot. I still think I'm gonna go with black/blue though to match with the LEDs. The yellow is tempting though. I intend to build an M1-Tiger someday. I think someone posted their replica a while ago and it turned out great.

George is comming in April with Yngwie and I was hoping to get this one signed. I never have the guts to do those things but from what I have heard, George is very willing to do these things for fans. Who knows.

Yeah, I bought a sample set and tried them out very briefly. I found that the bending radius is way too large (even for the 1mm stuff) to work easily with side dots. There are ways to do it without bending but I don't have the time to become a fiber optic cutting ace. If you decide to do it, I think the trick is to cut at the proper angle (there is a critical angle at which it will no longer reflect), and then you have to "silver" the end to make it reflect efficiently.

The other thing was- for a bolt-on I needed a way to get the two pieces to line up perfectly when connected. I thought that it would require some tricky routing in the neck heel and decided I was getting into way too much hassle and went with LEDs.

Good luck - let us know if you find a way to make it work.

I love this place cuz people like you Dave :D

What a freakin' inspiration that piece of work is.

I've learned a few things along the way, and one thing I've learned is this:

You can have all the knowledge of great technique in the world, without a kickin' and creative imagination to go along with it, to let the imagination lead the way and drive the machine, great technique don't mean a thing.

You'll just be a really good copy artist or replicator unless sooner or later you let your imagination take control of the show and believe in it and what it can do.

You got the imagination and the technique, like a lot of guys here, that's a -serious- double-whammy mah man :D

Hats off.

...But you better have that tut ready soon podnuh, I'm dyin' to try one B) ...

Thank you very much - I'm actually a very modest guy so don't worry- those very kind comments won't inflate my head.

I have most of the pics ready to make a tutorial - I just need to write up the text for it, and ask Brian if he would allow it. I think a lot of it is just common sense but I'll try to include some warnings for things that are easy to overlook and common mistakes (yes, I made quite a few while learning how to do this :D ).

I hope I can get it sanded and stained (or is the proper word dyed?) this weekend.

Thanks again to everyone for their help along the way. It seems that each guitar I have built has brought up issues that I could not have solved without help from others here at projectguitar. I know I would not have made it this far along without your help.

DaveQ

That thought had crossed my mind too, but then I figured that anything that thin (some MOP is usually translucent enough to glow with a light behind it) ...that would show light thru it wouldn't cut it for a neck inlay, too fragile, but would work for a body inlay...at least that's what my common sense is telling me...I'm plannin! :D

You are right about the MOP glowing from the LEDs. I don't know if it shows in my pics but the skull does glow from the light comming from the eyes. It doesn't cover the entire skull, just the area around the eyes.

I think the hard part would be avoiding seeing bright spots where the LEDs are. Maybe the trick is shining the light in from the sides? If anyone decides to try it, I would definitely recommend getting the super-bright type (high mcd rating 2000mcd an up).

I think someone here is building a guitar with an acrylic fretboard with some sort of lighting. I don't think he uses LEDs, I seem to remember something about glow wire (the stuff people use for PC mods). It was a bit controversial as I remember, since the lighting source he used creates a bit of noise. Try a search in the inlay section or electronics section if you are interested (maybe use "glow" for a keyword?).

OK, I found it, here's a link to the pic: Pic Page

I can't find the topic anymore but I think I used "fretboard" for the keyword and snork for the username.

Dude, that is extremely cool, wicked, awesome, kickass and a whole big list of adjectives. I'd better not let my buddy Robert see that or he'll want ME to do something like it (in red) and I just don't think I'd have the time or patience...maybe I'd just send the neck to you B) Of course, with a tutorial, ANYTHING is possible :D Good work.

SKot