Nut Problems

FajiiNako

Okay, well anyway lol

Ken sent me a new shiny brass nut to put on my GRX 20 which has a graphite(?) nut on it. Unfortunately i can't figure out how to get that nut off in order to put in the new one. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :D

...well there's no finish on the rosewood fretoboard, but i tried the exacto knife thing anyway. Then i tried the hammer and punch thing. Annnnnnnnd now i've got a thumbnail sized chip out of my headstock :D I managed to glue it back on though without any fuss, but still, that sucked B)

Are there any ways of releasing the glue without using force? chemicals? heat?

woohoo! i got it out using a t bar, and a hammer, and lightly tapping with the t-bar's entire edge on the nut itself, and it snapped the glue right off without taking off that chunk :D

Now i just gotta handsand the new brass nut to the same size as the original nut... which appears to be made of plastic, or rubber or something o.O

Another method is to saw the nut from one edge to the other leaving a groove right in the middle of the nut. Do what Danny says with the exacto knife then use pliers to squeeze the nut together. This will collapse the nut into itself and you can remove it in a few pieces without as much risk to your headstock or fretboard. Obviously, this method assumes that you want the nut out more than you want to keep the original nut intact.

Ya that probably would have worked out a lot better. But i managed to get it out. Now my only problem is getting rid of the excess on the brass nut. I don't have any equipment for doing this stuff, except for hand tools (files, razors, sandpaper, screw drivers, chizzles, etc.).

So yep, i've been filing for 3 days and i got the height perfect. Now i gotta figure out how i'm gonna do the sides. I'm thinking of using a clamp, pen, and a hacksaw. either wish me luck or yell "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T DO THAT!" :D