Laminate Top Q's

RG5702JPM

I have a Black RG7620 and I want to put a maple top on it, but I don't want to strip the sides and back of the guitar, jjust the top. Is that doable? I bought enough laminate to do two guitars, I am experimenting on an RG570 and would like to do my 7 string as well (yea, I stole the idea from the Rob Balducci web site :D ) Thanks for the input. Brad

Been there done that B)

Hope that helps :D

Actually to get the edges painted correctly , you will still need to lightly sand the side's so the paint has something to grab on to since the factory finish is to smooth. Easy thing about it is though you'll end up automatically doing that sanding when you go to smooth out the veneer :D

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of veneer, I contacted a HUGE Houston wood dealer and they only carry standard maple veneer and not figured. They said they could order it for me and that could take a couple weeks.

So does anyone know where to get this stuff besides ordering online? Maybe a retail chain? I'd really like to pick and choose my material in person.

Gabe

So does anyone know where to get this stuff besides ordering online? Maybe a retail chain? I'd really like to pick and choose my material in person.

Gabe

Check your phone book for arts & craft stores, they might be able to hook you up (I'm not kidding, wood burning is a more popular hobby than I ever thought). Home Depot I know sells veneers but a "veneer" from Home Depot is the same thickness as a "real" top.

I'd say go for smaller wood shops. I know that Todd Crawford and one of his buddies found a place with some really good woods here in ATL, you might want to see if they'll ship if you're willing to trust another cat on the quality...

The questions I have are:

Q: can you get Veneer Sets in quilted maple?

A: Yes it is possible, I get most of mine from different vendors off of Ebay, just use the key words "Maple veneer" then click on the different sections and go shopping! The best two sections are Tools and Crafting, Art supplies. I have several dealers bookmarked in my favorites that come up and your looking at about a $125 average purchase but I have absolutely no doubt you can sell off all of the excess because those bulk purchases are usually enough to do 40 guitars or more.

Q: If I follow your instructions & apply the veneer will someone like GMW guitars be able to put a polyurethane finish on it?

A: Yes if you want to spend big bucks letting somebody else finish off your project other wise, go by Wal-mart and hit the house wares section for a $1.98 carousel and follow this tutorial B)

Q: If they can, is there ANY WAY to tell that the Veneer technique was used?

A: Yes if the edges are not covered in a burst they will surely show.......:D

Q: Lastly, can you use this technique to make a CRAPPY Paul Reed Smith look like a 10 top?

A: Yes but while your at Wal-Mart picking up that carousel ask a sales associate about Space bags. Space bags are a product you can hook up to your vacuum to pull the air out and would probably be the best way to drop a top on a PRS with the contours. I would recommend using a small run of tape down the middle to keep the seam good and tight.

Thanks in advance...

David Keir

No Problem David :D Peace, Brian

I think it's possible, all you have to do is make up for the curvature of the body in order to keep the middle seam together on the book match.

First thing would be to lay a single peice down on one side and cut a line from the top to the bottom. Then using the part of the edge that didnt get trimed off (matching it to the other piece, cut the other side.

The drop tops really arn't all that heavy as far as contour so the venner itself should conform to the body. The biggest trick is to get the seam to stay together and match at top and bottom.

Course it will probably involve pinning it down and also using a vacuum bag to hold the veneer to the body while the glue drys.

Ok I got up close and personal with a PRS this evening, yeah went to a couple of guitar stores on a whim.........

The lower cut out between the horn and the neck joint could turn into a big problem on a PRS body.

I've been thinking if the veneer was soaked and cut to semi fit then ironed down every other feature on a drop top would work including the ridge running up the top horn on a PRS but that little cut out has me stumped.

I mean I would try it but I would also moisten the veneer to make it more pliable then use an iron to make it conform to the body shape. That would be easy on a Les Paul and even on some of the features on the PRS style body. Of course then it would take some time to dry using a blow dryer or letting it dry out on it's own.