Riser?

MKGBass

if you take off all the covers on a band saw you'll see it's nothing more then 2 wheels with a plade and a table.... by placing a riser in between the 2 wheels (the back pole part) you incease the distance between the 2 wheels thus making the saw taller, but also alowing you to saw (or re-saw bigger peices of wood, because you're now using a longer blade. i think that's the only purpose of using one since the bandsaw is designed to be as safe as possible with the exception of the one exposed point of cutting right in the middle of the table.

Yeah, I was gonna buy the one Delta makes for their saw, but it's like $250 B):D So I just made one for like $10. I designed it so I can get 8.5" under the guard, and I can use a standard 98" blade.

height.jpg

Here is the guard I made.

height2.jpg

Mines a 14". It's just the riser Delta makes for it costs about $250CDN, and risers for cheaper brand bandsaws won't fit, or so I was told, so I just decided to make one.

It wasn't hard at all, it was fun actually. There are alignment pins that align the frame, so you need to make sure you drill acurate holes for the pins,and make longer pins.

Do you have just a 9" bandsaw? If so, you probably are stuck with what you have, because only 14" saws have the two piece frame. Show me a picture of your saw if you can, that may help.

I have my drying device clamped to my bandsaw right now with a guitar hanging on it...so i haven't yet had the chance to look inside (i've had it open before i just wasn't thinking about a riser then...)

I'm not looking to make it 8.5" and resaw, i just need more clearance, as it is, theres about 3 1/4" of clearance, and i've already had to take 2 pieces in to be cut elsewhere because i can't do it myself. I like to do all the work, not to mention, it makes me EXTREMELY nervous.

Right now i've got a $150 neck blank in being cut, and i'll be afraid until i get it back. It's a nice homey little shop with about 5 guys in it and their shop is amazing, i'm sure i dont have to worry...but even so, it would have been nice to just have the liability in my hands....thanks for the advice, i think i can cover it from here. I might have to look into a bigger saw. A local store has a nice 15" saw with a stand and all for about $200 US (i think). It's a shop fox. Looks sweet...

3 1/4" sounds like a small, one piece frame, bench top. I'd invest in a larger saw, like at least a 14". That way if you ever want to resaw tops, you could have that ability, plus there's alot more power.

Yeah, I'd hate to have to send some wood out to be cut. I remember when I got a piece of figured maple, the guy came by with like 7 pieces, and I chose one and my boss chose two, I marked out how I wanted it resawn, and I remember being quite nervous as to what it wood look like when I got it back. :D