Trem route comparison chart

Brian

Thanks to Alex we now have this art work for the site.

tremtemplate.jpg

If anyone has a guitar laying around and a couple of minutes would you post the Make, Model and measurments here please?

This will become a reference page over on the main site when we get enough information together.

Here's what I got :

I took measurements of the trem unit itself and also the routed cavity.

Original Floyd in a late 80's Kramer with recessed rout :

Unit :

A - 3.619 "(slightly less than 3 5/8")

B - 2.681" (2 11/16 ") Minimum (includes string clamp screw)

- 2.809" (slightly less than 2 12/16") Maximum (inclused string clamp screw

C - 2.909"(slightly more than 2 29/32") Guitar player Repair guide says they should be 2 15/16" apart (2.937")

D - 2.645" (slightly more than 2 41/64")

Routed area:

A - 3.743" (slightly less than 3 3/4" )

B - 3.240" (slightly less than 3 1/4")

D - 2.787" (slightly more than 2 25/32")

E - 1.618" (slightly less than 1 5/8")

* E is not the same all the way across. It becomes much more narrow around the area where the tremelo arm is . I measured 0.804" (slightly less than 13/16") in this area .

Go here, to see what I mean:

http://www.geocities.com/soapbarstrat/floydstuff.html

F- 1.360 (a little more than 1 1/32")

------------------------------

WD Floyd copy

Unit:

A - 3.700"(slightly less than 3 45/64")

B - 2.807" (slightly less than 2 13/16")

C - 3.082" (slightly more than 3 5/64")

* The WD unit design allows this measurement to vary slightly, which I find superior to other units.

D - 2.544" (slightly less than 2 35/64")

Routed area (for recessed fit)

A - 3.819" (slightly more than 3 13/16")

B - 3.130" (slightly more than 3 1/8")

D - 2.810" (slightly less than 2 13/16")

E - 1.777" (slightly less than 1 25/32")

* This measurement is not the same all the way across, it gets more narrow around the area of the tremelo arm, which is 0.896" (about 57/64 ")

F - 1.190" (slightly more than 1 3/16")

The Kramer Floyd rout is a factory route, with no mods done by me. The WD rout is all done by me and I came up with the measurements.

Kind of ironic that I'm the one posting this, since I hate to see non-whammy and vintage whammy guitars converted to have these big Floyd-type monsters put on them. But I guess I was thinking about all the botched rout jobs I've seen and that often makes people want to totally junk the body altogether.

It was also a lot more work to get these measurements and type it all out here than I thought it would be. I was in the shop and thought I could just spare a few moments to do it, which turned out to take much longer.

I hope others take some measurements too, even of Original Floyd routs, like mine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Uhm, I've got four questions.

1. Alex, what are the depths of the different areas on the original floyd drawing?

2. And what's the distance from the "mounting screws" (or whatever you might call them in english) to the edges of the section that meaures 93 across?

3. What units are these? Millimeters, right?

4. What about the spring cavity? Anyone has any measurements for that one?

Sorry about asking a bunch of questions, but I'm going to have to rout this stuff into my first homemade guitar on monday (tomorrow) and I don't have the exact measurements yet.

• 1 month later...

Generic Edge/Lo-Pro cavity

A: 3-3/4" or 96mm

B: 3-1/4" or 93mm

C: 2-7/8" or 74mm

D: 2-15/16" or 75mm

E: 1-3/8" or 35mm

F: 1-9/16" or 40mm

And the depth of the rear cavity can be either 1/2" (12.7mm) or 5/8" (15.87 mm) depending on the model guitar

The shelf which the trem anchors are inserted into is 3/16" or 4.76mm deep

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi to all!!!! :D

I have a little doubt... about Floyd Rose cavities... For Original Floyd Rose Low Pro, is the same recess cavities like the Original Floyd Rose? :D

From already Thanks!!! See you Guys!!! B)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

:D While we're on the subject, I have a Strat body which previously had a standard 6-hole mounting tremolo on it. I have bought a Wilkinson VS50 to mount on this, which is a two post pivot type, and need to know a few things:

Firstly, on a standard 6-hole strat trem, do the 6 mounting holes each deliberatly line up with the centre of each of the six strings? (I don't have a standard trem to test this theory out! I need to know where the ccentreline of the guitar sits.

Secondly, I have downloaded the CAD drawing of the Wilkinson routing and mounting holes, and it mentions the 'center of intonation'. If I measure from the fretboard edge of the nut on the neck, to the center of intonation, should this be equal to the scale length? i.e. helping me position the bridge correctly?

And lastly, is the center of intonation about halfway between the furthest set back saddle (low E) to the furthest forward saddle (top E)?

I'm hoping the simple answer is: 'center the two mounting posts on the six holes already in it'.

There's plenty of adjustment on the saddles for intonation, but I'd like to do a pro job rather than risk ending up discovering problems with it later on.

Cheers in advance!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if [url="http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Guitar,_tremolo/1/Wilkinson_Gotoh_Vintage_style_Tremolo_Bridges/Pictures.html#details"]this[/url] will drop in and replace a Floyd trem without any body rout modifications? :D

• 1 month later...