Black Limba Dinky

Here's some photos of my current project.

I'm waiting on a few parts to finish it

Specs:

Black Limba Body 3 piece (Try and find the joints :D )

Flame Black Limba Neck

Cocobolo Fingerboard 12" Radius

Recessed Original Floyd Rose R4 Nut

Sperzel non locking tuners

Seymour Duncan Cool Rails Neck Pickup

Seymour Duncan Dimebucker Bridge Pickup

Dunlop 6100 Fretwire

fullfront.jpg

neckfront.jpg

neckback.jpg

backbodyclose.jpg

closefront.jpg

closeback.jpg

Scott:

I have been thinking of doing a Limba neck

/how is the feel of the wood & most importantly, what is the tone like?

Also., did you buy it or build it?

Dave

Dave, The neck it really stiff, in part because of the cocobolo fingerboard, and the Limba is Quartersawn. I built this guitar from scratch. I have no idea how it sounds, I'm waiting for the bridge pickup to come in the mail. I'll update when I get it finished. The neck feels good. it's sanded to 800 then tung oiled, resanded with 800 then Waxed with Pool Cue Wax (my secret)

PS I'm thinking of entering it in the GOTM next month, what do you guys think? Is it good enough?

Also., did you buy it or build it?

How dare you asking that!!! :D

PS I'm thinking of entering it in the GOTM next month, what do you guys think? Is it good enough?

It's a great guitar... I love it. You'll have some competition though: I'll enter my Spalt strat too.

But since the bull posters really hate me and mine doesn't have a whammy, you'll beat me anyway.. B):D

What glue did you use to glue the cocobolo?

Scott, great lookin gutiar!

It looks like there are going to be several black limba guitars finished soon. I haven't plugged mine in yet but unplugged, I really like the way it sounds (mine has an ebony fretboard). I think there's at least one other person building a black limba guitar here?

Anyway, I haven't seen you posting much lately and I'm really glad to see you back. You're top bending info really helped me out a while ago - thank you very much.

Is the finish you picked going to provide enough protection? I noticed with mine that the slightest bump can create a big divit in the limba. I was thinking that it would need a pretty hard finish to protect it. I'm not familiar with the wax that you picked - is it pretty tough stuff?

I hope you like the sound of it. I was very happy with mine so far (we'll see what the pickups do to it). I was just wondering if your choice of finishing would work for me or not. I rarely take them out of the house but I think I will go with something harder just in case. I hope it doesn't affect the sound too much.

I look forward to seeing it in the GOTM!! It looks great!

I would just like to say that the guitar is very, very beautiful. How much was the limba (body part)? I believe that it is quite expensive + cocobolo... Phew!

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

Thanks for the kind words

I think I've got about $60 USD into the wood. I bought the fingerboard as a 2" x 24" x 1/4" board from the Woodcraft store near me. I slotted and radiused it myself. The Body wood came from Cookwoods via an ebay auction and the neck blank was something we had laying around the shop.

As for the backwards headstock :D

The guitar is loosely modeled after Warren DeMartini's Performance Custom Guitar.

perf.jpg

I changed the body a bit. It's not really a Jackson Dinky Shape. It was actually modeled after a Tom Anderson, and to me there's no better headstock shape than a Good Old Strat, reverse or standard

I changed the body a bit. It's not really a Jackson Dinky Shape. It was actually modeled after a Tom Anderson

Really nice body. In fact, I can see some resemblance to Suhr guitar body (the down-sized strat body shape). I really like it, especially with the black hardware & reversed headstock (it goes hand in hand, rev h-stock + BLK h-ware, I mean :D ). How did you come up to do that body shape? Do you have an Anderson Drop Top? Again, I really like it, in fact, it is quite catchy combo of the hardware and wood. You proved yourself once again, man! Excellent job.

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

How did you come up to do that body shape? Do you have an Anderson Drop Top? Again, I really like it, in fact, it is quite catchy combo of the hardware and wood. You proved yourself once again, man! Excellent job.

No, I drew the body shape from a photo I had and changed it a bit until I was happy with the final Shape