My first build......

Hi everyone,

Over the last six weeks every night after work i've been slaving away on this beast. This is my first attempt at a guitar, other than some repair and refinishing work as well as my first effort at some serious wood working including the first (scary) time I used a router, I reckon it's not a bad effort.

It is a heavy thing made from two pieces of 2" thick ash, 25 1/2" scale length, a pair of Kent armstrong humbuckers; PAF in the neck and hard rockin' super PAF in the bridge (like a Seymour JB, but cheaper) Through body stringing and sustain that goes on forever! I wasn't ready to tackle neck making yet so thats a spare I had.

I documented the whole proccess so at some point i'll make a website with all the details on.

Anyway here's a link to the pics, let me know what you think!

Geetar Pics

Body yes, neck no, i'm leaving that for my next project a mahogany p90 equipped SG.

It plays well, I put a slight neck angle on and it sounds fantastic, really good. I was inspired by Gibson Firebirds and the 52 Tele shape wise. Its pretty carved out at the back fro comfort but I can't find the pics for that. can't wait to put it through a big amp.

Cheers for the feedback.

:D

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Well, I'll be honest. The only thing I dint like is the gap at the picguard asnd neck. No biggie. A 22 fret neck would cover it if you wanted it gone. The rest looks super great! I love the natural finish and the fender flavas. I think it has some Gibson Firebird in there too. Very original. The maple neck looks great with it too. like a 70s strat after a collision with a firebird mixed in with a jazzmaster. Wow...thats your first??

The pickguard thing bugs me too, i'll make a new one at some point to cover the gap. I'm pretty pleased with the way it went, plenty of planning, it's nice to have an "original" shape slung round your neck.

Good to know its an appealing look!

Can't wait to get started on a new one, although i'm having trouble sourcing decent wood in the UK, the ash I used on this one took a LOT of work!

Any ideas for a name for this axe? I'll scrub and re-do the heasdstock with my own logo at some point and I need a name!

Phyliss? That is exciting and new.... a little feminine perhaps...... I was thinking heavysuperbastardaocaster but the headstock is just too small.

Cheers for the link, I was looking at a few of these earlier today, i'll go add some others i've seen to the list I think.

Gotta shop around for my mahogany.....

I got an insanely thick Mahogany blank from Craft Supplies for about 15 quid.  Very nice it is too  :D

Really? Bastard!... their list price is £30 for 2 piece or £35 for one piece...!! :D

How'd ya manage that one... I could do with some of that action... B)

Oh wait... is that a neck blank? Now I understand... :D

No it was a body blank :D Dunno, maybe I've got the price wrong.

But I did get all the hardware (one of the Gotoh Les Paul sets) for free as the guy forgot to charge me :D

But I'm ordering all the stuff I can from there to make up for it (I'm honest but obviously not honest enough to pay for the hardware). I've also got to take into consideration the fact that one of my mates is mates with the manager (so don't tell him B) )

That's really cool. When i first looked at it, i thought, "Hey... it looks like a cross between a Firebird and a Tele!" So you did an awesome job at combining your influences!

Great work for a first guitar! I like the bold wood grain, but don't care a lot for the pickguard. A funky tortosieshell-texture pickguard might look cool and give you a bit more of a funky vibe, and you could fix the fit around the neck pocket. :D

A funky tortosieshell-texture pickguard might look cool and give you a bit more of a funky vibe, and you could fix the fit around the neck pocket.

Tortoise shell would look SO cool on that axe!

I really like the open wood grain. The shape borders on extreme/70's, and keeping the grain natural helped minimize that, and lean it towards a more classy look IMHO.

How heavy is that thing? :D

Firemaster! Now thats a butch guitar name.

To answer the question its pretty heavy, but then most of the guitars i've owned are heavy so I'm not bothered, the tone makes up for it.

The pickguard does need a bit more time spent on it so maybe i'll go for the tortoiseshell look.

Good to hear that you guys like the shape! It went through a lot of redesigns on paper.

The ball is already rolling on the next project, somewhere between a yamaha and Gibson SG but with a shred neck and mini humbuckers, I wanna do my own thing!

:D