It's A Dead Man's Party...

@Drak: I take my statement about the green body back. I saw the pictures in the other thread and I have to admit that top looks amazing. Where do you get all these beautiful tops? I have been looking for a 5A quilted maple top for quite some time now....

I am thinking about trying your stain black / sand back method on lacewood - any thoughts?

If you want to use lacewood and aim for a other color then something brown/yellowish I think you'll have to bleach it first, as most lacewood is too brown to give good results with blue/green/etc. colors.

GM, sorry I didn't clarify better. The 'green fern' guitar is another guitar, it was just a joke about the 'next victim' thing...the body for the maple-smasher is sitting here, awaiting the next topper transplant. The only reason I kept it was because it is quartersawn Mahogony, so it was more than worthy of keeping and putting another topper on it at a later date.

Dave...yeah, I build all my own bodies from scratch-o.

Time/Money...well, it's one of my hobbies, and I love it!

I haven't done anything unusual, I think anyone who keeps at it steadily for 8 years and keeps trying to improve and continue to create new stuff would wind up pretty much where I'm at in this stage of my 'journey'. I'm certainly not overly talented, ...just persistent.

Marty, yeah, I've done the stain black/sand back on Lacewood before, I'll throw up a thread and explain how I did it in a few days. Promise. :D PS, GM is right, you need to bleach it first.

GM, I used to be able to find my toppers locally, but in the past few years it's almost all e-Bay...just gotta be careful and know what to look for and where the bargains are.

Guest AlexVDL
thats so stupid

careful there,weez...members have been banned for this

Well I'll be banned :D

I know the body is not going to be thrown away, and there will be a new top, but you could have said that you will be shaving the top off and replace it with one you like better because the great quality mahogany back deserves the best.

Instead of that you just ruin the damn thing and proudly show off your work of aggressive behaviour...

I can imagine people calling you stupid by seeing those pics. But we all know your not! But I my opinion showing these kind of pics won't make you any more popular, on the contrary....

just my 2 euro cents

B)

erm... I see a move to the infinitely more posh "RANT SECTION" any post now....

FIGHT!

B)

And drak, it is your wood, and maybe it's for the best that you smashed it. After all, it was the top you were going to replace, and as long as you don't hurt the rest of the body, who cares if the top survives? I had assumed that you were ditching the body too, which was wrong of me. I'd love to see that thing with a nice top on it.

Until then, :D

I'm with you Drak on that one... Of course if it were me, it would have been lit on fire and had marshmallows toasting on it's top... speaking of tops, where are you coming up with these beautiful quilts and flames?

I didn't think this would cause people to 'take sides', I didn't even know it was an issue...I just thought it was funny. B)

Still do. B):D:D:DB)

It's a piece of wood, not death penalty legislation. B)

Jeez, what if I showed y'all the Wall Of Death, where many a guitar body has met it's untimely end, would I have protesters in my front yard? B)

:D:D:DB)B)B)