Spearmint, Anyone?

Well, after I got over the 'Bad Maple' morning, I went to work on this thang.

I DID get a chance to lay out a few coats! WOO-HOO!

What the hell color is this tho? :D Looks spearmint-y to me.

You won't believe this, but I used Solar Lux Sea Blue primarily, I think it blended with the colors of the wood itself (Myrtle). Odd, since I BLEACHED it TWICE beforehand!

Wood is weird stuff man...

This thing is gonna look sooooo cool with white pkps, I can't wait. Don't know what I'm gonna do for the burst, maybe Carriburst, not sure, but I'm kinda diggin' it...this one was a bit of a surprise as far as the way the color turned out, but I like it.

Drop-topped.

Early Morning, still recovering from the Maple Mombo, no finish yet.

Booyah-5.jpg

And here it is with a few coats of good old Lac sprayed on.

Whaddya think so far? Looks like a freakin' tropical bush-plant!

Minty.jpg

Minty-2.jpg

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Looks great! now just put sone Fralin Texas specials in it, a gold floyd and play me some Dire straits! Damn, that's great to keep us in the carrie spirit! :DB)

MKG, yeah, that's a freebie project guitar I'm building for a bud, put together from various parts I had lying about over the years, parts I wouldn't have used on any of mine, but too nice to throw away. It'll be pretty nice, it's a plywood body from an old Ovation electric I bought long ago (pawn shop), but I just routed it for a Floyd, should wind up pretty nice.

I'm using a neck I had off of another pawn-shop guitar, it was sooo weird...it was a Gibson Telecaster copy with a Jackson-styled neck, so the neck will be cool on this black body...what a weirdo Gibson idea... (I really used to be into pawn shop 'finds' years ago) But I don't need to buy any parts at all, I have everything here to outfit it from my 'used-but-decent' parts bins. I'm sure he'll like it.

I just shot more red-tinted black over the original black finish after scuff-sanding it. He's a big Metallica fan, listens to 'em every single day. Go figure...B)

Dave, it's just a mass cumulation from 8 years worth of building. I've got tons of 1/2 started bodies here, so I can always just pick one up and do something to it. I'll never run out of projects, that's for sure!

Marty, if it grows into a bass, I'm smashing it up, I swear to God!!! I don't play no steenkin' bass! B):DB):D:D

Here's the freebie-strat. :D

Blackie.jpg

Sweet!

I haven't been reading this thread, because I usually just browse through "View New Posts" and didn't realize it was an in-progress work you were talking about. "Spearmint anyone" wasn't a chat topic that grabbed my attention. :D

I really really, REALLY like the body style!!

As for the figure and the finish, I like it the way it is, in all its ferny glory. B)

The white PUs, properly mounted, will be extra sweet. If you have the resources, the kind without polepieces visible on the covers would really make it look sharp, like Mark Knopfler's first Pensa-Suhr.

Greg.

Wow Greg, we must be on the same wavelength.

I am pretty settled on either the Lace Sensor Hot Golds or (most likely) Holy Grails for it, and just as you mentioned, they both have the solid white covers, no polepieces. That was exactly the look I was shooting for, this was stuck in there just for the pics.

Any link to the Knopfler guitar pics? I'd like to have a look at it.

Thanks for the nice words from everyone! B)

This color was not totally planned by me. I was sort of shooting for more of an aquamarine blue, it came out more green than I expected, but it's cool, and it's not done yet either, still have the bursting to do, which I plan on trying to lean it more towards the aquamarine color for the bursted edges, guess we'll just wait and see...but I like these kinds of surprises, I dig the color, it's my first green guitar, and I really like the change of color from my more normal orange/red/browns.

This here is what I was shooting for, something mullmuzzler posted on the Carriburst thread...I have been in love with this guitar since the day he posted it! :D

501928_4_full.jpg

As for the plywood guitar, what does red tint laquer do if it's over black?

I wasn't sure really, not much in the end :D .

But black actually has quite a bit of blue in it, I wanted to see if I could 'lean' the black into a red-black. The difference is really subtle, hard to describe, and not earth-shattering different, but there ya go, just gotta experiment, hehehe...

Found this:

1.JPG

:D

Knopfler's the man. When I went to see Dire Straits, they sure don't jump around on stage much... but the musicianship (esp. his pedal steel player, whose name I don't know) was superb!

Anyhow, as you can see the colour and figure are totally different, but when I saw your guitar, it's the first thing I thought of anyhow.

Greg