Tune o matic bridge height Question

hello

Well, I am wondering if it is incorrect to place the tune o matic bridge about 5 mm up on the threaded posts as compared to flush to the bottom rim. It would appear that my neck angle is slightly off, and to achieve level string height above the board, I need the bridge to be roughly 16mm, not the 11mm that the bridge would be flush. My other option, I think, is to put a piece of wood under where the bridge will be to raise the height the necessary 5mm.

If you have any info on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Rones

Neck angle is too shallow means bridge must be raised, too deep , then it must be lowered. Can you shim the neck to change the angle, that is, if its a bolt on neck? You can adjust the TOM anywhere you want to achieve your best action. Just make sure it won't go out of bounds. If you raise the bridge and still have lots of thread left on the post left then it should be ok. The whole idea is to set it up so you have full access to your range of bridge adjustment. My last guitar had a relatively steep neck angle (4 degrees) for a tune-o-matic. I had to countersink the bridge into the body to compensate as I couldn't make ANY neck adjustments because it was a neckthru guitar. If the bridge mount posts are too deep you could insert plugs into the holes to raise the bridge as well.

it is a neck thru guitar!

for your steeper angle, you had to put the bridge into the body, not above it?

Perhaps my problem is not neck angle then, because I am at four degrees (or so), and I need to rasie the bridge by about 5 mm. My figer board sits above the body of the gutiar, so that may be were we differ.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Rones

The base of my fingerboard sits almost level with the body of my guitar, ie. surface of the fingerboard is about 1/4" above the body. So you have your bridge adjusted all the way down and your action is too low? Simple to raise the bridge so long as there is enough post left. I have a TOM roller bridge. String contact on the bridge saddles is about 14mm off the body, no problemo. Is that what you are after? If you raise your bridge the 5mm you need and run out of post then obviously you have your posts are inserted into the body too far. If that is the case, sink 5mm plugs into the holes and you should be where you want to be. Remember to account for truss rod adjustment as well.

I will have more than enough room on the posts, i believe, as long as it is alright to leave some of the threaded portion exposed underneath the bridge (5mm). My threads are 22mm (or so), and I need to come up 5mm. I think that i can leave then exposed...If this is not alright, then I can sink the 5mm plugs into the hole, but I gather that it is alright to leave some of the threaded portion exposed below the bridge, right?

your a life saver!

rones