RG6 ComicBook - Completed

Ok i know it's in the GOTM compo, but ya can't comment there, so feel free to hurl abuse my way on this thread :D back and sides are just matt black, nothing fancy there, Pickups are Neck(Air Classic)middle(Blue Velvet)bridge(breed) all DiMarzio, edge trem in chrome, chrome tuners (gotoh-a-likes) and black nut with cosmo clamps :D it's an old style neck joint, and she plays very well, I'm keeping this one as i'm regretting selling the other comicbook :D actually, i have tried to track it down to no avail :D

So now the only things on the boil are, RG7 Sweet Chesnut Custom, Patrick Eggle Custom and an RG3120 Custom, With gold hardware B)

Take it easy and comments are always welcome as ya know B)

comicjem004.jpg

Take it easy dudes, And hope you don't have problems with your own Projects

Rob

I'm gonna try and put a tutorial together, I had hoped to have one done for you all, But heres a quick "how i do it"

Firstly i choose my body,Then my comic, Then spend far too long sorting through to get which pages,strip i want to use ... Then the application

I use PVA glue to bond the Comic paper to BARE wood, Getting the glue off the top of the paper is important at this stage as it shows up BADLY during laquer stages ... Once i have done all the layout, and it's all glued it's left (without cutting the edges off) for approx 3 days (althou curing time is quicker, i like to leave it that long as i don't get frustrated)

Ooops, I use my fingers to spread the glue (a brush is probably fine and less messy tho)

Once i am happy i cut around the edges of the guitar to get it ready for laquer, Which is acrylic Car Laquer (it's like £1.99 a can) B)

Now the first 5 or 6 coats are sprayed at a distance, Possibly more than is recommended, i'd say 10 inchs approx this makes sure the laquer coats slowly so as not to cause too much bleed in the paper, Once you have a visible coat of laquer on the whole top (and edges) you can finish up as per normal and polish etc

There are a few pic on my website, where you can see the pages i used during the cutting off portion ... If anyone wants to donate a Body i'll gladly do a stage by stage picture tutorial, I'm sure Brian will have room for that :D

Thanks for all your kind comments and anything ANY of you want to know just reply and i'll help out !!!

Rob

Awesome guitar, good job.

My only comment is that it looks like the process has dulled the colour of the comic's, making it a tad lifeless (or maybe its just the photo? or the comics were dull to begin with?)

I just think in my head a collage of comics coloured really vibrantly would just have much more effect.

I dont mean to take away from your project though - its killer; good work!

Dudes, Take the idea's and splatter glue and paper till ya hearts content, If anyone gets stuck (groan) gimme a shout and i'll help out ...

The comic pages were very Dark, I intended to go for this look as my last one was vibrant, Althou i miss the other one this is the one i prefere. I love moody pics :D

I need a new body, 7 string RG, and hopefully me and syxxstring will get a deal done, Then i can do a photo tutorial, Step by step !!!

Fingers crossed guys, I know you'll love it :-)

Rob