Refinishing a couple guitars....whaddya think?

I'm planning a couple summer projects for my guitars. I'm planning now, because I figure if I don't throw out the idea by summer, it might actually look decent. This is what I'm thinking:

rg550(currently all black)-strip body and do a red stain(possibly burnt, depends on grain), leave black pickguard, put on red bobbins and knobs and switch cover, and stain headstock to match

rg120(red)- swirl in colors to be determined and put on corresponding bobbins

les paul copy- possibly duct tape finish, possibly relic finish, i just have to make it so that you can't see the wood(it's either real cheap plywood or maybe even particle board), and do something cool with pickups to match. Maybe i'll just paint it, but i have to figure out the color scheme. give me some ideas

I'm going to use lots of info i have picked up from this forum and the tutorials. I thanks all of you guys in advance for helping me out. You have been able to bear my stupid noobie posts and give me some useful information. Now you are free to flame my ideas at will. Commence with the insults. Neal

edit: if i put this in the wrong place, please move it. Thanks

les paul copy- possibly duct tape finish, possibly relic finish, i just have to make it so that you can't see the wood(it's either real cheap plywood or maybe even particle board), and do something cool with pickups to match. Maybe i'll just paint it, but i have to figure out the color scheme. give me some ideas

Well, I'm kind of anti-relic, (Disclaimer: but it's your guitar to do with as you please) :D but A duct tape finish would be very cool. What would be cooler is if you hit all the hardware with steel wool to make it match the non-gloss duct tape finish. As for the pickups, hell, cover 'em in tape! I can't imagine it making too much of a difference in sound. As for the headstock... you get where I'm heading.

It'd be really cool if you duct taped the neck, and then laquered over it so it was smooth again, but that's going a bit far.

Whatever you do, good luck!

Jeez...

Too bad my dad already indicated he wants a red guitar. There's a show called the Red Green show in which the main dude uses duct tape to fix EVERYTHING. My dad is a dead ringer for Red Green, and people tell him so all the time. He's a Red Green fan, too. So, a duct tape guitar would have been SO appropriate for him!!

I say do it!!

Greg

Jeez...

Too bad my dad already indicated he wants a red guitar. There's a show called the Red Green show in which the main dude uses duct tape to fix EVERYTHING. My dad is a dead ringer for Red Green, and people tell him so all the time. He's a Red Green fan, too. So, a duct tape guitar would have been SO appropriate for him!!

I say do it!!

Greg

Ive seen red duct tape. You also might be able to do something cool with cloth or a vinyl top with . I think the lens vinyl i used for the 7 string is available with a red tint.

How would duct tape over the pickups sound? Right now it has one black pickup and one with a silver guard. If i took off the silver guard, would it just be a regular looking pickup, or would it look different than the normal exposed humbuckers? I also have an 83' P-Bass that i might relic.....if i can get the darned thing to play(I got it for 25 bucks at a flea market, and it's in the kind of condition that makes me wonder if 25 bucks was a good deal..... :D ) Thansk for the input. Neal B):D

I wonder if it effects sound at all??

Do you like to play distorted? Yes? Then for the love of *insert name of what you love most here* DON'T COVER IT IN DUCT TAPE!!! It muffles the sound, making it muddy and horrible to listen to. That is, if you wish to believe the Total Guitar review of Noodles sig. Ibanez.............