Devon Headen

Router base for dremel flex shaft

Sorry, I didn't think about making a tutorial until after I had gotten the pieces together (except gluing), so I don't have any pics except the finished pieces. My camera isn't the greatest, and nowhere near does this thing justice on the way it looks, but it'll give you an idea of how it should turn out. I'm using purpleheart just because it's what I had. It's a huge pain to work with, and burns really easily (burns are pretty hard to clean up), so I wouldn't suggest using it, but it most definitely is gorgeous wood. I think I'm gonna finish mine to make it look even better. What's wrong with good looking tools? Also, let me know if there's anything I left out. Now for the tutorial.

Jam012.jpg

Needed:

-2 small blocks of wood

-acrylic sheet

-bolts (I think mine were something like 3/8")

-2 screws to hold the acrylic to the "body" of the base

-a bit to predrill the holes for the screws

-5/8" drill bit

-drill bit that matches the size of your bolts

-counterbore drill bit

-table saw (not absolutely necessary I guess, but it's what I did the majority of the work on)

-Titebond

Optional for the better looking bolts:

-bolt cutters

-two very small pieces of whatever wood you're using

-epoxy

First cut your two blocks of wood to size. The measurments are odd because I made the pieces by fitting them together, I didn't really measure anything while I made them. You can probably round the numbers up or down a bit, this is obviously just a rough guide:

#1: 1-1/4" wide x 1-3/16" deep x 2-5/8" tall

#2: 2-3/16" wide x 1-1/8" deep x 2-1/8" tall

Jam014.jpg

Drill a 5/8" hole through the approximate center of piece #1 (must be straight)

Jam013.jpg

Coming in from the front drill two holes, that match the size of your bolts, about 5/8" from each side

Use your bolts to thread the holes and make sure that the bolts don't just push in and out of the holes. If the holes are too big, start over. on that piece of wood

Jam015.jpg

Dado piece #2 so that piece #1 fits securely in it (this needs to be a tight fit)

Jam017.jpg

Cut a piece of acrylic (I used 1/4" thick) to about 4-1/4" x 3". Drill a 5/8" hole back enough from the edge so that the 2-1/4" line goes through the middle of the hole. Cut the piece of acrylic so that it goes right down the centerline of the hole (2-1/4" from the back of the acrylic).

Jam018.jpg

Predrill holes in the corners of the bottom of piece #2 (dadoed). Hold the acrylic to the bottom of the piece, and hold in how you want it to be when the base is done (square to piece #2). Mark, on the acrylic, with a felt tip pen, where the centers of the holes in the wood are. Drill holes on the marks on the acrylic, then counterbore them so that the screw heads are flush with the acrylic when screwed on. (My dad did this step, so it's a little out of square as seen in the pics)

Dry fit everything together to make sure everything is right. If something's not right, re-make the offending piece.

Glue #1 into #2 at the height that you think works best, clean up the glue, and get to work.

---------------------------------------------

Better looking bolts

Screw your bolts in with the flexshaft in position

Mark the height you want your bolts to stick out minus about 1/8".

Clip off the end of the bolts at that line with the bolt cutters.

Drill a hole in the two pieces of wood that is the same size as the bolts, then wiggle the bit around a bit in the hole to make it a little bigger.

Mix up some epoxy, put it in the holes, and put the bolts inside keeping them as straight as possible.

Jam016.jpg

After the epoxy is dry, shape the wooden knobs on a belt sander, or something similar.

Jam019.jpg

Jam022.jpg

Everything assembled.

Note: the bolts do mar the surface paint of the flex shaft tool. I don't think it's doing any real damage, but I haven't been using this long.

Note also: the author takes no responsibility for any kind of damage caused by the preceeding text; the reader takes all responsibility for his own actions

GregP    8

Sorry to bump-- I don't like doing that with pinned topics-- but this is looking very helpful, but I think I'm missing something. Didn't someone make one of these and add a few refinements to it? I at least remember seeing it in action and more pictures... pretty sure there was refinement on the design, too, though.

Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Greg

Somebody started one totally different, but I talked to him in PM, because I saw a huge flaw. I don't remember what it was off the top of my head, but it just wouldn't work. I'm sure there are refinements that will work well, but I just haven't taken the time to tweak it. I just made this as something you could put together quickly.

GregP    8

Cool, thanks Devon. I'll see what I can come up with. :D

Greg

liquid_gabe    0

Unfortunately, this design will not work with the new, contoured, flex shafts sold by Dremel. The only way I can figure to make one with one of these is to have the shaft thread onto the base. I couldn't find a nut with the right threads at Home Depot. Anyone know what the threads on this part are? I'd love to be able to find a matching tap.

Setch    0

I don't know the thread for the flex shaft, but the dremel is apparently a very secure fit in a 3/4-10 thread.

I used the grout routing attachement which came with my dremel to attach it to my routerbase. It is a driving fit into a 25mm hole, so I don't need to glue it in place, and can still use it with the grouting base if I want.

34_dremel_base.jpg

ausgtrman    0

Here's a tool that ended up turning into two tools:

It's a Dremel Router Shaper table that I used to use for cutting bone. I believe it's part number 321 if my memory serves me right. It cost $30 a fews back. It wasn't sturdy enough to make a 90 degree cut into bone, so I took it apart and used each half separately.

http://s743.photobucket.com/albums/xx71/au...nt=DSCF0366.jpg

The first being a Dremel holder that's height adjustable. I connected it to a piece of plexi-glass and counter sunk the screws.

The second part ended up being that base for my Luthier's Friend sanding station. I bought the Robo Sander and Luthier's friend sliding vise separately, but made good use of the existing base by cutting a 2 1/8" hole in it with a circle cutter that came with a basic drill bit set. (I think this is the common size for doors.) I then connected it to a maple cutting board and added some tee nuts on the bottom so that I could use the knob bolts that came with my Craftsman drill press.

http://s743.photobucket.com/albums/xx71/au...nt=DSCF0364.jpghttp://s743.photobucket.com/albums/xx71/au...nt=DSCF0367.jpg

tetiaroa    0

I´ve bought a Proxxon shaft, to use it with the Dremel, I think this is more flexible and the tip is more handy.

I have build this jig, it as a screw that help me to rise or lower it, and I've place a mini flash light to see the work better.

It's very handy

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1434971728195&set=a.1429964203010.2056714.1650004118

Edited by tetiaroa