New wood

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Litch, is that quartersawn or riftsawn (or flatsawn) lumber?

I'd like to see a close-up of the end-grain on that.

The grain is straight enough to possibly be quartersawn by the looks of it. I think that's always a big plus for tone transmission and resonance.

BTW, congrats on finally taking your pictures outside. Now just start getting a leedle beet closer. :D

Ummm, no, they're not. :D

Jointers are used to true an edge by the use of a fence (usually set at 90 degrees to the table/blade) to the flat side of a board. Jointer blades are typically about 12", and it is a hand-fed device. You 'can' use a jointer as a planer of sorts if the piece is 12" or under, but you have to hand feed the piece over the blade.

A planer is really just a thicknesser, and typically has an 18" to 24" blade, but they can vary. Home Depot planers probably come with 12" blades, for smaller, homeowner projects. Planers are usually either belt-fed or roller-fed from above across the blade.

Thanks Drak, for backing me up there. You forgot joiner though.

JOINING is not typically done on guitars, but on other woodworking. It involves taking a board that has already been joinTed and cutting little slots (they're gauged from 0 to who knows how high, biggest i've seen is #20) into which biscuits of some sort of wood/cardboard compound are glued, the two boards are thus pieced together. VERY similar to the wooden dowel method of doing things...

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

BTW, congrats on finally taking your pictures outside. Now just start getting a leedle beet closer. B)

HEY!! Come on dude, we all love Litch's photos.

Speak for youself! :D

Seriously, I would probably have a better chance at GOTM if my pics were of better quanlity. Until my wife got her new camera (Olympus with 3.2 megapixels or something, compared to my .3 mewagapixels) my pictures sucked. The effort was good though.

Haha i worked at a hardware store for 2 years, selling power tools. Not to argue, but try that, and then decide if theres a difference between a jointer and a joiner. I won't dispute that they often name the same thing, but when someone comes into your store asking for a "jointer..er joiner, you know..." you gotta be like "Which one?"

BTW, congrats on finally taking your pictures outside. Now just start getting a leedle beet closer. :D

HEY!! Come on dude, we all love Litch's photos.

Speak for youself! B)

Seriously, I would probably have a better chance at GOTM if my pics were of better quanlity. Until my wife got her new camera (Olympus with 3.2 megapixels or something, compared to my .3 mewagapixels) my pictures sucked. The effort was good though.

uhhh litch... whats "quanlity" and "mewagapixels" ? I never heard of those two words before :D

haha, just kidding... nice wood there buddy... (no pun intended)

Nice wood! I can't wait to see it be put to good use!!

And I couldn't help myself, but from my experience "jointer" and "joiner" did not used to be interchangeable, but so many people say "joiner" when they mean "jointer" because they just heard someone else say it and thought they said "joiner".

"Joining" is just the action of "joinery" in woodworking meaning to join 2 or more pieces of wood by some means, typically with a joint of some type rather than just screwing two boards together. (examples such as finger joint, dovetail joint, mortise and tenon, lap joints, biscuit joints, dowel joints etc.)

Biscuit joinery has become quite popular lately and so have the power tools known as "biscuit joiners" that of course speed the process up a lot. You can also use a slot-cutting bit on a router for the same task. Sometimes these handtools are called "joiners" for short, but that really lacks description, so they should be referred to as "biscuit joiners" to avoid confusion.

Jointers of course make the wood flat & square if so desired to the fence.

Planers will thickness the wood, but not take out bowing or make the wood square.

And if anyone wants to donate their working 6" or 8" pro jointers and/or 13" + planers to me, please respond.