My quilt can beat up your quilt!

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Perry - Fantastic quilt, is it from Larry Davis?

when you get that neck cut, I'd love to see a shot of it. Are you going to keep it flat sawn to maximise the figure or go on the quarter for stiffness?

No, ebay special. Specially kiln dried by customs (#$%&$#!) at extra expense, due to a 1/4" x 2" piece of bark left on one edge....

I will probably use that neck piece as the middle lamination of TWO neck blanks. Im reluctant to use a piece that curly for a neck on its own. the figure is just as good on the flat as it is quartered.

This is my current personal project...

Flamed Tasmanian Oak

flamed-oak.jpg

Thats water, not stained....

the way i see it (and i reckon Drak has a simular view), is that the pain of expensive timber, is quickly forgotten once youve finished the guitar, but the happiness in saving a few bucks for substandard timber, or "average stuff" is short lived, because YOU have to live with your work forever.

This is my current personal project...

Nice! - I've been drooling over that fella on your homepage. When you've got the binding all done I'd love pic of the cutaway area. I'm still trying to fine tune my approach to binding cutaways, because I'm not big fan of tall binding, but I'm not 100% sold on the geometry of my last top where I carved down to get a 1/4 inch binding channel all around the body. I really need to haul my arse down to Denmark street and have a look at how the big boys are handling it...

I'm still trying to fine tune my approach to binding cutaways, because I'm not big fan of tall binding, but I'm not 100% sold on the geometry of my last top where I carved down to get a 1/4 inch binding channel all around the body.

Hi Setch, i DONT bind the cut away areas at all. I do the bottom and sides only, and match that theme on the headstock. Thats my "thing". The neck from this mumma is in the "Business Cards" thread from last week.

Litch, thats an amazing price. I think mine cost $120 or maybe more.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I was at my mother in law's and I needed to get some cherry bookmatched. I called around, and discovered a place called Edensaw. So, we go down there and look around, and see they have great prices on wood, specifically black limba for like $6 a B/F. Then we saw the "Figured maple $2.50/ lb" sign, and proceeded to look through it.

After the purchace, they told us about their book of customer's work. I looked through it, and saw a few pages of Warmoths, mentioning Edensaw as their supplier. I asked and they said that they come in once a month and pick out about 50lbs. Next time I hope to beat them there