1st Project moving along, need advice

So, here is my first, color coat done, will do first thin clear tonight. I did a mock-up of the hardware so you can see what it will look like assembled. It is copper tone metallic, and I though of maybe royal blue/lake placid blue flames with possible silver pinstriping kind of in the pattern of Satch's in the second picture. What do you think, flames or no flames?

Guitar%20Pics%20003.gif

satch2.jpg

I usually like stained figured woods but I think flames like that would look even better on your guitar than Satch's, IMHO. B):D

Maybe you could have the flames licking down at an angle similar to the angle of the middle pickup?

That's looking great! I really like that metallic copper paint.

I would think some more subtle flames, thicker at the bottom, just around the perimeter of the guitar except for the top portion of the body... kind of like it is burning from the bottom up but hasn't caught at the top yet. Know what I mean? Boggs

Ok first of all i realli like what u did with that axe!!!

I have kinna strange idea for ur guitar.

So let me begin:

Why dont u try Mat (not shiny) clear coat and then try to drow file just in shiny clear that way ull have your guitar in one color but when the light tits it ull c the flames.

I've done similar thing once for client and he was amazed.

You get thet effect that metallica has on the covet of their blk album.

Everithing blk but still theres something on...

This is just idea

regards :D

Thanks for all the sweet ideas. I got two thin coats of clear on, and the color is really looking good. I couldn't decide on a good color for the flames, so I think I'm going with a nominally modded take on croaticum's idea. I think subtle is definitely the right track to take as boggs said. I think I'll mask off the "flames" with frisket and clear the rest of the top with matte nitro. Scrape a "pinstripe" around the outline, then take off the frisket, and clear the body with gloss. That way, the guitar can keep the sweet appearance of the copper tone mettallic, and have the subtle flames. This site and all you guys who offered advice, just totally rock! :D:DB):D

Cool! I'm actually more of a natural wood guy, but I can see how folks would like other things, so I could embrace the flame thing some. The Parker shape is really well done and the flame addition could make it really unique. Looking forward to seeing the end result! Boggs

Thanks,

I totally understand. I kind of like the solid colors better, and I especially chose it for my first to mayber cover some of my woodworking sins. I do certainly love the look of a nice figured maple top, though. Seems like most folks on project guitar go after the finishes that can show off their woodwork. I don't blame 'em, there are some incredible looking woods on well-crafted guitars that I've seen. Best of luck with yours, it looks like it's coming along really well. I especially applaud you for your patience in building a full mock-up/rehearsal. I plan on doing a practice run for this finish on some scrap. It'll give me some peace of mind when I move on to the final job.

ED