Revised body shape for padauk guitar project

From my building partner, here are negatives shown on the actual padauk of my revised body (final edition) so it can be seen in the actual wood... The components are just set on top to give you a general feel for what it will look like with pickups and bridge and tailstop and the volume and tone knob. I need to figure out what to use for the front and what to use for the back. Suggestions? Boggs

boggsmatches.jpg

Thanks! The change is remarkably subtle... None to the lower end at all. Just primarily the slight elongation of the upper left "horn" with a less round arch and a little more access to the upper frets on the upper right. The waistlines really haven't changed at all. It never ceases to amaze me how a little change can have a huge visual impact! Boggs

...And that wood is unfinished. You should see it filled with a French polish!!! I can't believe that more guitars don't use this beautiful variety of wood... I think Guild used to make necks from it if I am not mistaken. Boggs

The change IS subtle, and maybe it's just seeing the actual wood that's giving it more impact... but in either case, I've started to like it better now that I've thought more deeply about the ergonomic impact. :D

Still not entirely my cup of tea, but that's the beauty of it all! Some people can't stand Explorers, either. (fools!)

Greg

I'm working on a one piece Padauk body at the moment, it's a nice wood with an interesting smell, but the stuff i've got is amazingly tough, half of it is bright orange and it's like working with stone! Maybe we should form some kind of Padauk appreciation society.... Wasburn make/made the Nuno N4 from Padauk.

Nice refinement of your original shape by the way. :D

I have found that when a design kind of grows on you, it usually stays with you. When something has a strong visual impact and impresses you outright, you tend to tire of it sooner. The growing on you aspect is a very good thing! Thanks, GregP :D

We find this wood very nice to work with. I personally wouldn't want to make a solid body out of it because I would think it would be bright as hell tone-wise. That is why I chose the mahogany chambered body with padauk top and back... to tone it down a bit but be more dynamic in response than just mahogany. I am shooting for versatility here along with showing as much wood as possible.

I've never gone the conventional route in anything I have designed whether it be my old Formula Vee race car suspension I designed or my motorcycle customization or this guitar... The guitar community is generally very conservative and has a hard time "breaking away" from the conventional, long-time standard guitar shapes such as the Strat or the Tele or the LP... Nothing wrong with those designs at all in my book...except for those things I have addressed in my design from a function standpoint. Even mine has its compromises like the rapid-fire volume swells. The way I see it is there are pedals that can do that function and if you want to do a volume swell on an acoustic guitar, well, that would be the only real option unless you got an acoustic electric with controls on the soundboard. Not really much of a compromise in my book! B) With regards to your projects, guys, THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX! The personal satisfaction is great! Carry on, gentlemen! Thank you so much for your participation and honesty and sharing your thoughts. You guys are pretty darned :D . Boggs

I agree about the tone thing, mines chambered with a maple top a weighty combination with out the chambering, and it's coming along slowly but surely.

It is always good to see somethign a bit different! Yours reminds me a bit of some of the Ovation electrics from the 70's, they certainly had something new going on.

Good luck with the remainder of your build!

I made this:

paduk.jpg

its a paduk top with a sitka spruce body, the tops of acoustics are made of this, and this guitar sounds awesome. I have a set of vintage telecaster pickups in there and the sound is perfect. best sounding guitar that I have made. it has a rosewood board with a mahogany neck.

Tim took #4 and in photoshop simulated planing to increase convergence and ended up with this... I think it looks great!

newboggs2.jpg

Real nice work there, bigdguitars! Boggs