Chrome Boy Finish?

Thanks for the answers. Especially that alsacrop stuff sounds interesting.

Would it be possible to apply real chrome to wood as well?

No, the original JS chrome guitars (JS2?) were made using wood, but only a couple saw the light of day, because the wooe "breathes" and the chrome doesn't have enough give and eventually flakes/peels/cracks over time. In fact, if you check Joe's number 1 chrome guitar you'll notice that it has a strip of gaffer tape between the pickups where the chrome is peeling.

So I guess you can, but it won't hold up well.

Does anyone know how Ibanez gets that chrome finish? Is it real chrome or some kind of special lacquer?

Thanks for any info,

Marcel!

If you're going to try it, you might give Duplicolor's instant chrome finish a shot. It's not real chrome, mind you, and I don't know how well it will work, but it'll certainly be far easier than trying to electroplate a piece of wood.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/gold-chrome.html

Thanks for all the answers. Exactly what I was looking for. I guess plating wood is prone to cause problems later as GEdward wrote. Maybe with a thick clearcoat underneath the chrome it would work. I was just interested how Ibanez does it....

I don't want to attempt a chrome finish myself, but these chrome laquers/enamels sound very interesting. Maybe I will buy some and test how it looks on scrap....

Does anyone know how Ibanez gets that chrome finish? Is it real chrome or some kind of special lacquer?

Thanks for any info,

Marcel!

If you're going to try it, you might give Duplicolor's instant chrome finish a shot. It's not real chrome, mind you, and I don't know how well it will work, but it'll certainly be far easier than trying to electroplate a piece of wood.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/gold-chrome.html

I got some. The shiny cap was really appealing. But that stuff is just silver good paint - it sure ain't chrome.

i've tried using other brands of this so-called chrome spray paint. it works great on some surfaces (it can actually look like chrome). unfortunately, wood isn't one of those.

i've tried spraying it thin and thick, few and several coats. in my experience, it gave the same result, which is like metallic silver: similar luster sans the flakes (if you can imagine that). worse than that, it takes forever to cure and it doesn't go well with clear coat on top of it.