straight or angled

otgordin

Hey guys,

I am buying a new guitar amp. I figure its time to move up into the world of half stacks... If I don't plan to have two cabs, should I get a straight or angled stack? Thanks

-Vadim

they sound different...the straight cab has a more mellow,botom end oriented sound

I agree... My friend was telling me one time that when he hooked up only one cabinet that the angled one just didn't sound as good as the straight. I actually didn't believe it at first until I tried it. It's just not as full sounding as the straight cabinet, as far as my ears detect. You get more high ends with the angled, but this might be a good thing if your playing certain styles of music like country, etc. I personally would get the straight cabinet if I was only gonna have one though.

The angled also points at you a little more directly when on stage w/ no tilt. Playing hole in the wall bars it can be a plus, the sound guy is not always reliable for your monitors. Heck one place we recently played the sound guy was announcing on the pa to tip him in drugs.

I use a combo now but always angle back to me on an amp stand.

I use a combo now but always angle back to me on an amp stand.

That's exactly what I have. I'd rather have a mic in front of a smaller amp, instead of hauling around big cabinets all the time. I'm currently just using my old Ax212 Line 6, and using a amp stand that will let me hear better. It also keeps you from turning up too loud because you can actually hear how loud your playing.. lol Actually everyone in the band uses one now since it works so good. Except the drummer and singer of course.. lol

I just got my angled carvin cabinet today, like guitarfrenzy said, it lets you hear what everyone else hears, which is what i want, although it is a TAD more treb the bottom cabs i tried out localy, with the exception of the peavey cabs, their speakers are really... sharp sounding to me

BTW carvin cabs = mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm or maybe it's just cause this is the first 12" speaker cab i've ever owned

Sounds like its gonna be a straight one. Although I am still gonna try out both. Just got done rocking two finals this weekend with a combined three day sleep total of about 8 hours. One more left and its off to the toy store. Thanks for the advice.

-Vadim

btw: three greatest things about summer at a frat house

1. Beer

2. BBQ

3. Endless Guitar...

:D I can't f*n wait.