Voting for August 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
VOTE HERE

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loosetoe

3/8 - 32 tap...where to buy

I am looking for a 3/8" 32 thread tap.

It seems this is the thread size and pitch for output jacks. I am looking to machine a "nut" for the jack instead of having the typical nut visible.

However I am having NO luck finding a tap in this size. Has anyone tried this before?

-Wayne

I think you might find that the correct tap is a metric size, which would be a 10mm tap (3/8" = 9.52mm). I'm not sure what you have in your part of the world but all the stuff around here (South Africa) has metric specs and it all comes from Korea,Taiwan etc.

Have you tried McMaster-Carr, MSC, Reid tool supply ?

Maybe Mouser electronics would have one ???

There are metric and Imperial size jacks. I mess with both all the time. Metrics are a wee-bit smaller than the Imperial, which I also assume is 3/8-32.

I've never tried making threads for those jacks.

I have a 3/8"-16 tap which is common, but I really lucked out when I found a pack of 4 big taps (3/8"-16 included) of different sizes at a "crap" store called 'Big Lots'. 3 bucks for 4 big tungsten carbide, made in japan, taps, which I've used quite a bit and there seem to be no flaws with them. Blows the ' You get what you pay for " theory out the door.

(funny how we can't see anyone's location anymore)

Rob