for the price, best real acoustic not laminated

I have started to look at buying an acoustic guitar and want to know what everyone thinks that best value is for a guitar?

I am looking to spend 500-1000 bucks and would buy used or new, but don't know where to start.

I used a taylor for a couple of weeks, but it was a friends that I sold on ebay, liked that guitar, but what else is out there?

thanks,

Derek

Hands down, no questions asked. TACOMA.

I have the roadking(dreadnaught sized chief), ive owned it about 7 years and it gets better all the time. It was one of the best I'd played when i got it, ive played them all. Not as fancy looking as others but your ears will never know.

OOOH and dont forget the best neck on almost any guitar ive ever played.

Larrivee guitars are amazing and very well priced. They are handmade, and have a nice balance of tone. I got the rosewood back and side, solid spruce top cutaway acoustic electric model (LV03RE) for $950 with tax from Dave at guitaradoptions.com. Their guitars are incredible and I picked it over the $1800 taylor I was playing at Sam Ash. You should check them out, and give it a play. If you call or email Dave he can probably help you select a model and get you a good price. Just be sure to play many different guitars and see which one you like best. Your own taste is the best way to go :D

Seagull have one of the best bang-for-the-buck ratios out there. All solid tops, great sound, amazing value.

I love Seagulls (that's what I play), but I believe you said all solid wood. Their Artist series have solid backs & laminated sides, which is probably good enough. The others have laminated backs & sides. They're pretty much the kings of bang for buck, though.

If you must have all solid woods, I'd look at Garrison.

I love Seagulls as well, have played 6 and 12 sting versions, warm rich sound. Definately the best bang for the buck. That being said, I fell in love with Tacomas the first time I heard them. Really sweet sound. It probably didn't hurt that it was being played by an incredibly cute lass either.

George

Seagull have one of the best bang-for-the-buck ratios out there. All solid tops, great sound, amazing value.

I love Seagulls (that's what I play), but I believe you said all solid wood.

Huh?

I said solid tops, not "all solid wood".

Garrison guitars are nice if you like a guitar with a fiberglass frame, but i haven't actually played one (nor do i know anyone who has one) so i can't really comment.

I've played a lot of Seagulls and know a few people who have had them over the years, and they're really great guitars for the money. And the satin finishes feel great.

Garrison's re pretty good,and come with the Buzz Feiten system.

Seagull,Norman Art and lutherie,Simon and Patrick are all really good,especially for the money.They're all by the same company,(Lasido),out of Quebec so you can't go wrong.

I said solid tops, not "all solid wood".

Sorry - I meant the 'you' I was using to refer to the person who originally started the thread. Sloppy of me.

To return to the original topic, if you're looking at the $1K or less range, whether or not it is all solid wood wouldn't be my first concern. Are you familiar with Torres' experiment, where he built one with a papier mache body? It produced a very good sounding guitar. Guitars vibrate in 2 dimensions. The body wood contributes overtones but the effect is minor compared to the body size, top, and craftsmanship. At that price range, I'm going to be looking at the latter.