So I needed new strings, and decided to drop the extra money for a set of elixirs. They feel plastic and horrible and make my formery rich and lush sounding acoustic and sound that can best be described as "tinny". Is this going get better as the strings settle? It also seems like the coating inhibits fingerpicking. If it helps, the guitar is a yamaha with a spruce top and mahogany back and sides and the strings I used to use were bronze wound martin marquis. Thanks

-Vadim

Not tried the acoustic ones, but I love the electric ones. We all have different tastes, i guess!

As with most things, it's just a matter of preference. You have discovered, as others have, that you can't stand them. :D

I love them! Fingerpicking is a bit more 'slippery', but I'm not inhibited by the Elixirs. As for 'tinny'... a fairly present brightness is generally the sound of brand new strings.

It seems to me that you've become accustomed to slightly gritty, somewhat older strings (not saying that you leave them on for a year, just that after a few days' play, THAT's the sound and feel you prefer). If that's the case, Elixirs may not be to your tastes, that's for sure.

Greg

GregP is right. I've never really heard anyone say they were indifferent to them. You either love them (me), or you think they're a complete waste of money. I think tone is extremely subjective. It depends on the person whether it is good or bad. Personally, I really like the bright sound of the Elixirs, and I like how long they last.

I rarely restring my acoustic because I hate the new string sound. Markleys, Elixrs, DiAddario they all take about a week of playing and such to really sound good.

Plus did you change string gauge? Going with lighter strings on an acoustic is going to make it brighter and quieter. Your mileage may vary.

THanks for the responses, I have been playing with the guitar alot over the weekend. It has started to sound a little fuller. What I did notice tho is alot more clarity and volume. My friends and I were jamming on the porch of our house last night, and I cut through during solos with ease. I probably won't buy them again, but now i can say i tried 'em. THanks again.

-Vadim

by changin brands you may have accidentaly changed gauge. Meaning not everyones mediums are the same.

Yeah, but .013 is .013 in any language. I'll look into Thomastik-Infeld next time I need strings, but both my guitars at school just go re-strung so that won't be for a while.

-Vadim

by changin brands you may have accidentaly changed gauge. Meaning not everyones mediums are the same.

Yeah, but .013 is .013 in any language. I'll look into Thomastik-Infeld next time I need strings, but both my guitars at school just go re-strung so that won't be for a while.

-Vadim

.13 is just the high string the following 5 strings can and often do change from manufacturer to manufacturer. Also a wound g vs plain, etc...

I did "Beta testing" on the Elixir strings, years and years ago.

My feeling, they start out being a little "duller" than new uncoated strings, but they maintain that same sound for a longer time while the uncoated will lose their sound.

I didn't really care too much for how they felt.

You could feel the coating, and maybe it would just be a question of getting used to it, but I didn't really go for it......

Maybe they have gotten better now.

:D

So I needed new strings, and decided to drop the extra money for a set of elixirs. They feel plastic and horrible and make my formery rich and lush sounding acoustic and sound that can best be described as "tinny". Is this going get better as the strings settle? It also seems like the coating inhibits fingerpicking. If it helps, the guitar is a yamaha with a spruce top and mahogany back and sides and the strings I used to use were bronze wound martin marquis. Thanks

-Vadim

Interesting observation on the strings. On my old Alvarez the Elixirs brought it back to life. It was dull and lifeless. The Elixirs raised the highs and mids on the guitar so that it sounds wonderfull again. The strings have also lasted a long time too. Perhaps the same effect on a good sounding guitar made it sound too tiny.

I have tried the electric Elixirs and don't think that much for them. I've gone back to Super Slinky's for the electrics. On the Acoustics though, I'll always use Elixirs.

Man, im still suprised to hear people say they dont like the sound of new strings. I cant imagine how someone could like old strings better than new ones, unless you are playing a style/song that calls for very dull/dark tone. I feel that new strings give so much more clarity, response and sustain! Oh well, we are all different.

(btw - elixers = :D)

Only ever snapped two - recently, and they've been on the guitar a LONG time. What I found interesting was that Ireplaced them with brand new elixirs, and the tone between the new and old ones is so similar that I can only hear the difference if I realy try.

FWIW I love the sound of new strings - particularly on bass!

It truly depends on the of the player and what they like. I change strings every week and for every gig because i have acid sweat and because I love how new strings sound. Elixirs sound a little dead to me. I don't think they'd be worth the cash even if they sounded phenomenal.

I suppose it's in the ears, but I find Elixirs fairly bright. Not as bright as BRAND NEW non-coated strings, but definitely brighter than any strings I have after about 2 hrs. use, as my sweat is also highly corrosive. Considering I can sometimes put in 4 hrs of playing in a day (schedule permitting) and I only change my strings once a month or so, the overall amount of brightness I get from Elixirs is much more than I'd get out of any other string.

Greg

It truly depends on the of the player and what they like. I change strings every week and for every gig because i have acid sweat and because I love how new strings sound. Elixirs sound a little dead to me. I don't think they'd be worth the cash even if they sounded phenomenal.

Not to mention that after a week on his guitar the strings are green and nasty, it almost turns the stomach.

I've left strings on my main guitar for over a year, however, I now change them monthly because on the electric it does sound better and give me more harmonics. I cant remember when I last changed strings on my acoustic though.