12 string

i wanna buy a 12 string accoustic electric for playing around the campfire this summer, you know? :D

but i also want it to be useful for other situations.

does it feel the same if you only keep 6 strings on it?

is it possible to do without adjusting truss rod?

im looking at ovations! B)

thanks alot!

The necks are wider, and, on the ones I've played, the bass strings are lighter gauge than a regular 6 set. Personally, I can't stand the sound of the high G octave string. I never put it on. Sometimes it's ok in heavy strumming situations, but try to pick on it, and it just gets too dang squeaky sounding for me.

im not sure about this, but the neck is wider, but as i recal its only as wide as a classical guitar neck (if its a stell string 12 string), which would feel wide to you 'lectric players B) and the string spacing would be a tad bigger , which is ideal for finger picking, and less for struming(chords are harder), but it wouldnt be hard to get used to especiially if you are a classical player (then it would feel like home :D )

i would think so, if the truss rod is adjusted to counteract the pull of 12 strings then if you take half of them off the truss rod would be over tensioned and a back bow would probably occur, and if you change the tension of the truss rod frequently then there are more possibilities of neck, fretboard problems to occur. one way porbably to counter act this is to use a much heavier gauge of strings for the 6 string and lighter strings for the 12 string. so as to make the difference between the pressure exerted between the 2 stringings as close as possible, but as this is impractical since it. 1. needs getting used to heavy strings 2. needs getting used to wide neck. 3. is hard to find strings that exerted enough pressure (unless you steep into short scale 6 string bass teritory, whcih where not made for such high tunings)

so in my oppinion it is more practical to get a 6 string if you use it more often unless, you already have a six string (or 2) then you would have a dedicated 12 string, or you have money to throw around and buy both,

my friend has a 12 string and its good for some songs and bad for others, dont buy one unless you can throw areound that kind of money

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah i Like the 12 String, i think there Great, i got mine For 150Euro, its an SX 12 String, WOuld'nt be the best make now, but its really nice i think, yeah the neck on mine is wider than me Fender Accoustic, not much now, but it is Noticeable.

Great SOund off the 12 Strings.

SMell ya Later

....Keith