best bang for the buck acoustic

I would suggest going to a local guitar store and trying several different brands. I would especially try out Alvarez, Dean, Yamaha, some Ibanez (I am not a huge fan of their sound, or feel for that matter, but that is a personal preferance, you will have to determine if you do or not on your own), Seagull, or A&L guitars. All play extremely well, in fact, I belive many play better than $2000 acoustics. I love my Alvarez more than anything, I play that thing around 4 hours a day. I style/sound is mainly acoustic, I rarley touch my electric, and I have never played a guitar that sounded and felt so good for the price I paid for the Alvarez, somewhere around $300.

• 6 months later...

I have one. I takamine that was originally $700. I'll sell it to you for $400. chech out the pics here takamine you have to scroll down to see the pics of the tak. PM me if your interested. The takamine is way better than any other low end acoustic (hence why I have it :D ) It produces a BIG open tone that sounds great! It comes with $124 dollar case. The neck is a short scale and is VERY comfterable to play on. It sounds great plugged in. I have played it up aganist a VERY expensive larrviee and it sounds great! Thers nothing wrong with it except the usuall pick scratchs.

Edited by Godin SD

As far as the money goes, I went into Guitar Center with $2000 to buy an acoustic 3 years ago looking for a big blonde Gibson, and I walked out with a $680 Tacoma DM9. I haven't regretted it at all. It was in the back room of the acoustic area of Guitar Center where they keep the expensive stuff, and it sounded better than anything on the wall that I played.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

wow, i forgot about this thread....

I ended up buying an Alvarez AJ60SC. This is an acoustic-electric with a piezo pickup. It has maple sides and back with a spruce top. It is a jumbo-size acoustic with a single cutaway. It is GORGEOUS. I have gotten many compliments on having such a nice guitar, though i paid only $240 for it. It lists for well more than that. It plays very well and has a wonderful sound. I would reccomend this guitar to everyone and their brother. For 240, i don't think i could have found another guitar that has more of what i was looking for, BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!!! I bought this guitar and i don't plan on buying another acoustic until this one breaks. The preamp is wonderful, it's a fabulous player, and has looks to kill. I think that it is the best guitar i have seen in the price range. JMHO. Neal

Taylor's, i really like their low end models, i think it's the baby series?

The only issue with Taylors is that they really need to have one of those humidifiers for acoustic guitars. They do not deal well with drying out, more so than other guitars.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Taylor talks about this issue, but that doesn't mean their guitars are more susceptible to these problems. ANY solid wood acoustic guitar can be victim to humidity issues. I've had as much issue with my Breedlove and Takamine ones as my Taylor.

• 6 months later...

Best bang for your buck? Probably a second-hand guitar.

I quite like Taylor's Big Baby, but really, I'm not wild about much any guitar under around the $1000 dollar mark. Thankfully, I've invested about, oh, 4 times that in a wood stash that should keep me busy building acoustics well into the next decade...

I would take a look at Michael Kelly acoustics. They make some AMAZING acoustic basses with killer flame tops and awesome fretboard inlays for $500-600.

Horray for digging up 1.5 year old threads. :D This thread was started before I even became a member!

I would take a look at Michael Kelly acoustics. They make some AMAZING acoustic basses with killer flame tops and awesome fretboard inlays for $500-600.

Horray for digging up 1.5 year old threads. :D This thread was started before I even became a member!

Am I really the only person who cringes when they see flamed maple on a guitar top? I mean, it's a dead-giveaway for one of two things (or both): photoflame, or plywood tops. Neither of which is particularly a great thing in my book.

Am I really the only person who cringes when they see flamed maple on a guitar top? I mean, it's a dead-giveaway for one of two things (or both): photoflame, or plywood tops. Neither of which is particularly a great thing in my book.

Generally, you're right. But thare are a few flamey acoustics that are very good. IIRC Taylor had some maple topped guitars in the history of it's 600 series, and there's the T5 if you're into that sort of thing. And I've seen others, though I forget where...

OK here we go.....

Being the guy that started this thread I though I would let you know the outcome....

I went to the pawn shops around a saw nothing but abused guitars.. some that made me sad..... but that another thread....

So I wen to back to the guitar center and played every guiter from $200 to $550- dollars...

Here's my outcome... and in no way am I a "acoustic guitar PRO....

1. martins DX1 and dxk2: (pruce or koa to and "strange" compound plastic back and sides... nice guitar about $450 and loud.. tons of bass.. but the construction is a bit weird and the clarity was a bit more muddy that I wanted to hear...

2. taylor baby: nice sounding and loud guitar but the intonation was a bit off on 2 of them ( I have been playing for 15 yeas so I am not BS-ing you taylor fans...

3. epiphone various models including masterbuilt: Not a good guitar. Intonation problems and the tuning machines and nut /sadle are cheap and "notchy" ( yah know stick while tuning)

4. various takamine g-series guitars: suprisingly clear and loud.. but a bit plastic-y even the "nofinish-natural models" I would call their tone ovation-esque...

5: yamaha: Nice sounding for the price but all seemes laminate tops ( in my range anyway) and were not loud enough or had "clear boomy bottom..."

6 HERE'S the one I bought....

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<DRUM ROLL PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ibanez artwood series....

I have NEVER liked Ibanez guitars and have always played strats and les pauls...

...but the solid wood top, intonation, playability, clarity and price were the ticket////

Soooo I played a few and picked aout a model ... the I bought one on ebay for 200.00 (including a hardshell case...)

I DO feel bad for "using " the guitar center.........

At least I'm not one of those punks that grab a PRS and bash it against a mesa stack while turning around "wishing" I could play...

Then bragging about how my mommy is going to get me one for graduation....

Once again that's another thread... :D:D