Kramer 5150 project

after reading the EVH guitar word issue i was inspired to make one also. and now im more inspired...!

anywhere you can get templates? or should i just ue a strat template and put in a neck humbucker and lose the two other pickups.

or maybe i'll just buy the body off ebay!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man thats just a beautiful sight!!!!!!

Whats with the wrong knobs on the 5150's tho?

I started the white base coats today, the body is hanging in the spray booth/oven for a few hours to harden up. I also painted the base coat on the neck too.

I cant wait to get the stripes happening.

Nah, with a respirator all you can smell is the rubber in the mask.

I actually love the smell of poly but its so toxic, it aint worth risking it.

Ill give it a couple of days and then I'll assemble the whole guitar, check the clearences, line up and drill the neck and string her up. If everything works ok, then I'll pull it apart again and finish the paint job. I figure now is the time to do a mock assembly as any marks I happen to make will be sanded out before the next few coats of paint.

This really is some great work. I really am impressed to see the amount of detail that's gone into these guitars.

The only problem that I have is that I just don't like Eddies guitar. At least, not in anyone elses hands. Not meaning to insult anyone, but it's just not for me. It reminds me of the time I saw this guy on Saturday Night Live, and at first glance, it was Eddie. Black/Red/White stripes everywhere on his jumpsuit, the hair, the guitar, the silly grin and guitar faces while playing, everything. About 10 seconds later, I realize it's a poseur. I thought, why would anyone go to that length to be someone else?

There are shops devoted to building Eddies. Is there really that much of a demand for them? Even now? When Eddie isn't really cool anymore?

*I'm going to be flamed for that comment, I just know it*