basic intervals/scales lesson for beginners

the third eye

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, wait y'all

Lets back track, I came here lookin to learn, and now your arguein and such, why not do it in PM because some do want to learn, I really do want to learn, mostly because my playing sucks hardcore right now, and I dont want to just play the same stuff over and over and over and over again, if you get my drift, I been practicing pentaonic scales in different roots, I aint particularly fond of the blues scale, and i dont have a clue what min3 or maj 7 means, explaining THAT would be useful so i can look at page one and go from there

THANK YOU

Curtis

lol you're right, soz man

ok you know what a root note is?

i think you do cos you mentioned it...

if u'r root is the 5th fret on a string, then on the same string...

that makes the 6th fret the min2, 7th= maj2

8th=min3, 9th=maj3

10th=perfect 4th, 11th=diminished 5th

12th=perf5th

13th=min6th, 14th=maj6th

15th=min7th, 16th=maj7th

and 17th the octave (the 17th fret is 12 up from the 5th)

(so i'm just going down the table of interval names)

basically it's a map and scales are your coordinates

if i give you coordinates of min3, maj7

then you would go take your root (5th fret)

go to the min3(8th fret)

and then the maj7 (16th fret)

so we now have 3 notes and all the octaves of those 3 notes

when you take a scale you find out what intervals it uses, then look at your map, and find out where those intervals are..

does that make sense?

so that is a blues scale ^^^^^

OK, got one scale down, X amount to go!

Curtis

only one thing i know...pentatonic scale is different from the "blues" scale...the blues scale has 2 extra notes?

blues has one extra note.

when you play the A minor blues scale like this :

----------------------------5--8------

-----------------------5--8-----------

-----------------5--7--8-------------

-------------5--7---------------------

-----5--6--7-------------------------

-5--8---------------------------------

theres is the 6th fret on the 5th string, and the 7th fret on the 3rd string, which makes two notes that you dont play when you play a similar pentatonic. thats cos this scale is two octaves of the blues scale, and therefore the one extra note is played twice

Ki, I agree (as usual) with Dangerouso. As usual he knows his stuff !

In any rate Harmonic Minor is a great scale to use. I would also suggest try working out a lick that uses one of those "tensions" as your center point.

A great trick that I used to enjoy is arpeggiating the chord only using a little formula to add flair to it. Take your chord question and say its root is A. Take the notes of the chord and find where they lay in the Harmonic Minor scale.

A-B-C-D-E-F-G-#-A

then play a pattern where you you start one note on the =scale above your target pitch go a half step below your target pitch and then end up on your taget pitch, using triplets so you would have B Ab A, D B C, F Eb E, A G G#, and then you can resolve on the A or repeat the patter an octave higher, or if the chord has changed apply the pattern to the next chord. If you like that try pssing over the target pitch each time so the pattern would be in eighth or sixteenth notes like this

B A Ab A, D C B C, F E Eb E, A G#G G#,

If that all makes sense and you like it cool, if you don't understand, lemme know and I'll try and break it down. And if you just don;t liek then you obviously have no class :D J/K

O and another great trick would be to use your Major 7th (g# in this case) as a pedal point. You'll get some dissonance but only in a hip Miles Davis way!

cheers i'll try those ideas out

the bass riff is somber enough as is so to lighten it up, i'm not going with the harm minor

i think i'll go for some strange exotic jazz sounds....

give it that "it's minor but major" thing...

eh i'm tired and it's early morning no sleep timefor sleep time...yknow?

I was recently trying to explain modes to someone and came across a web site that does a good job of explaining all of this: theorylessons.com

I don't agree at all with his view on "string locks" and the nonsense about how much trouble they are but once you get into the actual theory lessons, it's really quite good. There is an excellent explanation of intervals there and he does a good job of relating all of the material and the real bonus for beginners is that there are fretboard diagrams.

If you're just starting out playing guitar - I would recommend taking theory a small bit at a time. Don't spend all of your time working on theory - have some fun and don't make it into a boring/frustrating experience. Spend some time learning your favorite songs (the simple parts B) ) from tab and explore on your own a bit in addition to learning a bit of theory each day. Don't skip ahead in theory lessons or think that some parts aren't really needed - learn it all as you go and commit to memory. Never lose track of the fact that it will pay off in time.

Check the link out as a second reference to the information in this thread - it may help tie them together for you. :D