bassey pickups

razzark

There are alot of fairytales about wich wood for what sound, even more because i want to use active pickups, people say the wood loses a bit of it's contribution to the sound. Is that a fact?

and i have quite a different opinion...they do not sound any more similar from guitar to guitar than any other brand...a pickup(ANY pickup)is only a starting point....the wood,bridge,strings,etc all affect the final output to the same degree as any other pickup...think about it logically and you will see that it must be so.yes it colors the sound...so does any pickup,active or passive

http://www.emginc.com/support.asp

go here to learn more about them

i am experieced with the emg afterburner.. personally i think its a waste of money unless you dont' know how to build it yourself. cuase its too pricey.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But they'll still sound like EMG's, only EMG's in different guitars.

just because emgs are not copied as much as other pickups does not mean they shape the tone any more than any other pickup

yes they are more recognizable by sound...but that means nothing

if you hear an emg sound,you know it is emg,because there are no others that sound like it...but if you hear a duncan distortion,yu don't know whether it is a duncan distortion, a dimarzio distortion,an invader with the bass backed off,a jb with the bass turned up....you just don't know

and yes,other pickups can sometimes fool you...for example...the new exodus guitars...they use passive pickups(duncans i believe) but their rig makes them sound like emg

all the emg 81 does is make it easier to get the scooped metal sound that was popular before they came out...and by preamping it they also are able to use a lower output...so that the higher levels of gain do not create all the feedback associated with those levels of gain.

guess what?i have only been using emg for about 2 years now...before that i experimented with every passive high output pickup i could get my hands on...

and as soon as i put them in my guitars...it still was quite obvious that all the guitars still had just as much distinct charachter as they did before...

if you like your passive pickups...more power to you...but maybe you don't play like i play

there are certain songs (as an example,"alter of sacrifice") that you have to have a clear bottom end to play...and even the best passive pickups make you back off the gain to get it...not emgs...there is NO bleeding through of the notes

EMG's have their own sound, just like Lawrences and old PAF's and any other pickup you care to name. Of course the tone changes from one guitar to the next, I NEVER SAID IT DIDN'T, but it's much less pronounced with EMG's.

that is not possible

So you're trying to say that EMG's do not have a definable sound on their own? That there is no difference between an EMG and a Duncan Distortion?

and this is a good example of either you not listening

An argeement seems far away.

I asked someone who builds guitars for 10 years now, he made about 30 of em.

I told him i wanted EMG's. he looked like he saw **** burning and told me: look, the thing with pups is.. it's just a magnet. :D

What he does is, he goes to the shops workplace and asks if they sell 2nd hand pups.

He says, people like you buy a guitar and after 2 weeks they say it needs other pickups. Well ok, so he buys a box with a hundred 2nd hand pickups for 100 bucks...

He tried them all, and the funny thing is that it all sounds the same, some a little different but in the long run the thing that matters most is the wood.

I asked for EMG's in the shop and they cost 260 for a set of 2 inc. pots etc... B)

I'm trying something else i think. It probably can be done for half the money, even less..

And about the EMG-AB, i found a tutorial on a website for building a device like that, i have to look it up, i'll post it later..

I asked for EMG's in the shop and they cost 260 for a set of 2 inc. pots etc...

that is strange...i can get a set of 2 with all the electronics(they come with the electronics included by the way) for around $200...and that is for humbuckers

but i gotta say,and i am sure most will agree...pickups are the single most important thing on a guitar you can use to shape your tone imo

good pickups will make a cheap guitar sound good,and crappy pickups will make a great guitar sound like trash

they are much more than a magnet

ok looks like i missed the ball on this one but...

emg 85 has a great beefy low end, and still has lots of fuzz to shred with, it's my pickup of choice in the bridge right now.....

Korn plays PAF 7's just for everyones information....

and no you don't need a "chunky" pickup to get the low end on a baritone, if you read some of the descriptions of the 7 string pickups on the dimarzio site, you'll see the most of the troubles about adding that low B string is trying NOT to make it sound muddy, hence tooo much low end, so i totaly agree with people saying to use less bassy pickups then guitars.... think about it.... guitars have this wimpy little strings... most poeple will only go as heavy as 52-10's... plus Standard E doesn't have a whole lot of "bottom end", so they need chunky pickups to be able to draw as much low end from them.... baritone strings are 63-13, right away you've got a much bigger string giving you a deeper sound, then throw in that you're tunned down to B and you've got loads of low end to play with... you don't really need a pickup that's going to exagerate them any more then a standard pickup...

sorry if i repeated anyone here....

Aha, I play 0.09 strings.. Let's say i move on to 0.13 or so, that would improve the fatness a little then. :D

I have to say that 50% of the shape of my sound is determined by the contour-pot on my Marshall combo, it's really the difference between Foo Fighters and Metallica..

Wow I didn't know such a simple question could get people so pissed off

I've been witness to many such flame wars on other forums, and it's always about pickups. It is because people don't speak in "Hertz"...and if you don't, all such tone descriptions are subjective.

I once put a set of bari strings on my Strat (stocked with Lace Holy Grails) and I loved the clean Stratty type of low end (the low B just didn't stay in tune...). But words don't quite describe how this sound differs from other types of low-end sound.

tut tut, flame war on in the regular forums, :D

in the future just use an officiall forum flame form B)

its not filled out since i dont feel like joining a flame war, but for you people out there, feel free to use it

Official Forum Flame

===================================

Dear:

[ ] Clueless Newbie

[ ] Loser

[ ] Spammer

[ ] 12 year old

[ ] Pervert

[ ] Nerd

[ ] l337 d00d/"vet"

[ ] Other: illegal immigrant

You Are Being Flamed Because

[ ] You posted a Nudity thread (anime or normal).

[ ] You whine like a bitch.

[ ] You bumped a thread from the last page.

[ ] You started an off-topic thread.

[ ] You posted a "YOU ALL SUCK" message .

[ ] You don't know which forum to post in.

[ ] You posted false information (or lack thereof).

[ ] You posted something totally uninteresting.

[ ] You doubleposted.

[ ] You posted a message all written in CAPS (oR aLtErNaTe CaPs).

[ ] You posted a X > Y thread. LAME.

[ ] I don't like your tone of voice.

To Repent, You Must:

[ ] Give up your AOL Internet account

[ ] Bust up your modem with a hammer and eat it

[ ] Jump into a bathtub while holding your monitor

[ ] Actually post something relevant

[ ] Be my love slave

[ ] Apologize to everybody on this forum

[ ] Go stand in the middle of an intersection

In Closing, I'd Like to Say:

[ ] Get a life

[ ] Never post again

[ ] I pity your dog

[ ] I think your IQ must be 6

[ ] Take your crap somewhere else

[ ] Do us all a favor and jump into some industrial equipment

[ ] Go play Dress-Up Barbie Onlineâ„¢

[ ] All of the above

An 81 in the bridge of my black V sounded thinner than the same 81 in the bridge of my white V.

An 85 in the bridge of my black V sounded FATTER than the same 85 in the bridge of my white V.

So which one was amplifying the natural tone?

both, the 85 is fatter, BUT different pickup + wood combinations yeild different sounds, depending on where the guitars predominant frequencies are, and where the pickup is designed the capture sound the greatest.....

i think your white guitar tends to have better mids then your black guitar, and your black guitar has a bit of a fatter low end... which would explain what you just said, and your just not listening close enough.....

tut tut, flame war on in the regular forums, :D

in the future just use an officiall forum flame form B)

its not filled out since i dont feel like joining a flame war, but for you people out there, feel free to use it

Official Forum Flame

===================================

Dear:

[ ] Clueless Newbie

[ ] Loser

[ ] Spammer

[ ] 12 year old

[ ] Pervert

[ ] Nerd

[ ] l337 d00d/"vet"

[ ] Other: illegal immigrant

You Are Being Flamed Because

[ ] You posted a Nudity thread (anime or normal).

[ ] You whine like a bitch.

[ ] You bumped a thread from the last page.

[ ] You started an off-topic thread.

[ ] You posted a "YOU ALL SUCK" message .

[ ] You don't know which forum to post in.

[ ] You posted false information (or lack thereof).

[ ] You posted something totally uninteresting.

[ ] You doubleposted.

[ ] You posted a message all written in CAPS (oR aLtErNaTe CaPs).

[ ] You posted a X > Y thread. LAME.

[ ] I don't like your tone of voice.

To Repent, You Must:

[ ] Give up your AOL Internet account

[ ] Bust up your modem with a hammer and eat it

[ ] Jump into a bathtub while holding your monitor

[ ] Actually post something relevant

[ ] Be my love slave

[ ] Apologize to everybody on this forum

[ ] Go stand in the middle of an intersection

In Closing, I'd Like to Say:

[ ] Get a life

[ ] Never post again

[ ] I pity your dog

[ ] I think your IQ must be 6

[ ] Take your crap somewhere else

[ ] Do us all a favor and jump into some industrial equipment

[ ] Go play Dress-Up Barbie Onlineâ„¢

[ ] All of the above

haha...good one...point taken though.

i call an end to this flame war...if you wish to continue to argue...let's keep it a bit more civil.

i don't really find it offensive,but some might.

anyway...on with it then.

I had an 81/85 combo for a while and tried it in both of my V's. With the 81 in the bridge, one V was kind of thin sounding, the other was just fine. With the 85 in the bridge, things we so nice and smooth. My black V, the one that sounded thin with an 81 in the bridge, actually sounded fatter than my other V with the 85 in the bridge. I still haven't figured that one out.

uh........ in what way is an emg thin. they are the FATTEST sounding hums on the market. that is MY main question. but i wont contribute to this too much i'm just trying to find out for personal reference if there is a pickup that is significantly fatter sounding than an EMG or at least enough so to say that it sounds thin.

and how could sound vary from 2 vs with a different paint job

but i wont contribute to this too much i'm just trying to find out for personal reference if there is a pickup that is significantly fatter sounding than an EMG or at least enough so to say that it sounds thin.

yes...there are fatter pickups than an 81.

stock gibsons are for example...but i wouldn't ever say an emg sounds thin

to reiterate.i think my point(and lovekraft's) is that for a baritone you need a clear and articulate low end...not a low end heavy pickup...which would tend to make that low B very mushy

i also don't really agree that the invader has more low end than an 85...it seems more like it was designed as the passive answer to the output of the 81...except that it ended up being very noisy under high gain.

Invaderâ„¢

see | hear | specs | dimensions | dimensions 7-string version

SH-8 -- The Invaderâ„¢ sounds as powerful as it looks. The combination of three large ceramic magnets, hot coils and twelve black oxide cap screws give this awesome pickup bolts of volts for an electrifying force of energy. The wide magnetic field pumps power into your amp with unique brightness and a totally new sound. Available in black, zebra (cream & black), reverse zebra and white as well as the following colors at no extra charge -- red, red & black, pink, green, light blue, dark blue & yellow.

Four conductor cable. Also for 7-string guitars, available in black only.

"unique brightness"?i don't see anything about low end...and the invader i had was really not as low endy as my 85s...

but for a baritone.i would definately use an 81 to clean up the B

if i was going to use a passive....i would use a dimebucker or a jb

but alot of what the poster wants is going to depend on whether or not he really wanted extra bass on top of the baritone tuning or whether he wanted a pickup which would handle the bass better

if he REALLY wants it as bassy as possible...maybe a duncan full shred?

but i would really go with an 85 if you really want the low end...i think you will find that it has more than you really want...zakk wylde certainly gets it chunky

i say again,if someone else has a different opinion...maybe they could manage to articulate it without turning it into an attack?

http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?...d=6&catalogid=2

that link is to a page which describes the 85 for it's beefy,yet still clear low end...there is also a sound file

Wow I didn't know such a simple question could get people so pissed off B) ..... For budget reasons I got the Super Distortions. I got a sweat deal on them because I asked the dude at the store (he also owns the store) if I could have a discount because I thought the price was a bit high. He said he had them for a long time and just wanted to get rid of them so I got a sweet price on them. :D:D:D

haha...i just noticed he didn't take any of our suggestions and just went with his original thought....way to go,dude!

hope you love them :D