bassey pickups

razzark

I'm looking for bassy pickups for my baritone project and wondered what humbucker style pickups are generally the best in the bassey category. I looked at Dimarzio's Site (no reall brand prefrence I just heard they make bassey pickups) and looked at the tone charts and considered the Sueper Distortion or the Parker ones. However, if anyone knows some really good lowend humbuckers that would be sweet. :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't need any extra bass from the pickups - the bigger strings and scale length should give you all the bottom you need. A lot of baritones use singles, or even lipsticks, so any decent humbucker should give you all the bass you can handle. The Invader should make it an air-movin', bowel-churnin' machine!

Not trying to start anything, but could you name a pickup that doesn't "play nice" with low notes? I've played basses with lipstick pickups tthat didn't have any problems reproducing the bottom end (seriously, I'm not being sarcastic, I just never heard of any pickup that didn't have better bass response than any amp/speaker combination could reproduce). :D

Not trying to start anything, but could you name a pickup that doesn't "play nice" with low notes? I've played basses with lipstick pickups tthat didn't have any problems reproducing the bottom end (seriously, I'm not being sarcastic, I just never heard of any pickup that didn't have better bass response than any amp/speaker combination could reproduce). :D

The Duncan Distortion isn't that great for low tuning, in my experience. It has a tendency to be muddy. On the other side you have EMG's and Lawrences that have a real lack of low end. My point is, some pickups just aren't meant for some things. I wouldn't use single coils if I was playing in a death metal band, I wouldn't use Live Wires for country. The guy asked for a bassy pickup, and pickups don't get much bassier than Invaders. It's a starting point and nothing more. He may find he doesn't like the sound, he might like it. I don't know. It's just a recommendation.

I'm looking for bassy pickups for my baritone project and wondered what humbucker style pickups are generally the best in the bassey category. I looked at Dimarzio's Site (no reall brand prefrence I just heard they make bassey pickups) and looked at the tone charts and considered the Sueper Distortion or the Parker ones. However, if anyone knows some really good lowend humbuckers that would be sweet. :D

I haven't used it myself, but from the descriptions, you may get a good tone out of a Steve's Special.

The Duncan Distortion isn't that great for low tuning, in my experience. It has a tendency to be muddy. On the other side you have EMG's and Lawrences that have a real lack of low end.

The Invader is muddy because of its massive lows and midrange, so it's great for that mid-scooped "wall of mush" sound so popular with nuMetal mavens and MultiRectalfryer owners (I have to keep reminding myself that "muddy" is in the eye of the beholder B) ). IIRC, that was what razzark was asking for initially:

I'm looking for bassy pickups for my baritone project and wondered what humbucker style pickups are generally the best in the bassey category.

:D And I've never noticed any lack of bottom in EMG or Lawrence pickups - quite the opposite, they both seem to have an almost "hi-fidelity" response with little bias towards any frequency range (and a clarity that some guitarists find disturbing), and it's going to take spectrum analysis to make me believe otherwise. EMGs would be ideal for me in a baritone, but razzark, with his own unique set of expectations, might find them "shrill" or "harsh". We all know what we mean when we describe a sound, but we seldom have any idea what those words mean to someone else, so "fat, warm, ballsy" may mean "muddy, dull, flat" to someone else, just like "sparkly, detailed, tight" may translate as "shrill, thin, cold".

razzark, back to the original question, if you like a particular guitar pickup in your standard axe, it'll more than likely make you happy in the baritone - but you may want to beef up your speakers. :D

an 85 is fat and warm...but still clear,although not as clear as an 81...i put an 85 in the bridge of my sabre to beef up the bottom end..it worked

by all means,if you want a korn-like "wall of mush" with super high pitched squeeling in the background at high volumes,get an invader

if not,look elsewhere

don't get me wrong...an invader is great at standard tuning...it does add some great low end ,but at lower tunings it is crap,(IMO)

carvin pickups man they have super clarity. and would transfer the tone to it.

Yes, the low end IS lacking on those clips. The tone is basically the typical EMG brittle crap with some extra farty noise around 40Hz. If you want to hear real low end, check out the band Sleep. A song called Jerusalem if you can find it. THAT is low end.

Yes, the low end IS lacking on those clips. The tone is basically the typical EMG brittle crap with some extra farty noise around 40Hz. If you want to hear real low end, check out the band Sleep. A song called Jerusalem if you can find it. THAT is low end.

you sure are unpleasant...

i guess you must know more than 90% of the low end metal bands out there..because they use emg as well

by the way ...my bass on those clips was at 5...so i guess you don't know much

Wes, you shouldn't argue with someone who knows it all. This one (at 23 y/o) has already proven to us all that he is the all knowing, all seeing ma-harashi of the six string.

If we had an ignore feature on this forum, he would already be there.....

Wes, you shouldn't argue with someone who knows it all. This one (at 23 y/o) has already proven to us all that he is the all knowing, all seeing ma-harashi of the six string.

If we had an ignore feature on this forum, he would already be there.....

haha...just what i was thinking :D

i guess Korn's tone really is the be all/end all of tone...too bad you can't distinguish the notes

by the way i had an invader on the same sabre as the 85 is on now...guess what...the low end was weak...yep,that's right

What the f$#k is with the people here? I post an opinion and I immediately have people up my ass for it. The guy asked for bassy pickups, I gave a recommendation. I don't use Invaders, I don't particularly like them, but he wanted bass and you just don't find more bass than Invaders have.

90% of low end bands use EMG's? What the hell do you consider a 'low end' band, pray tell? Most 'low end' bands I know of (Graves at Sea, Warhorse, High on Fire, SunnO))), Sleep ) use stock Gibsons.

And when the F^#K did I ever mention Korn? Korn has all the tone of an elephant making sweet love to a tree. Check out some of the bands I mention above. THAT is low end without the muddy garbage that passes for Korn's tone.

Your bass was on 5. I said the low end was lacking. Please explain to me how those two statement are in any way contradictory and indicate that I know nothing. Really, go for it. I want to see you wriggle out of this one.

*EDIT*

I'd post some clips, but I've never been able to get my tone on tape with any sort of accuracy. My recording gear sucks massively.

*EDIT*

I'd post some clips, but I've never been able to get my tone on tape with any sort of accuracy. My recording gear sucks massively.

Bla, bla bla. If you can't put up, then shut up. Like I already said, a 23 y/o who is God's gift to the f'ing 6-string.

I've been playing since Mustaine was in Metallica, I KNOW low end. If you have it , let's hear it,

You are coming across her as a know-it-all . Show some props to those with 11,000 post and "Mod" in their title, or you run the risk of being terminally ignored. "Muddy" does not describe KORN in any way, shape, or form. I am not their biggest fan, but their tone is loud and clear.

Stop acting like you know everything you're talking about (as a tech-for-hire, in your own description) and begin to learn from the people here. You may actually make a good builder if you put your pride aside for a little while and listen without an attitude.

Litch, PM this guy and explain how you are a better person, as well as builder, for demonstrating the strength to admit that you need to learn more, I respect you more for it (and that new avatar!!!)......

And you're coming across as some middle-aged (deleted) that thinks he knows everything because "I've been playing since Mustaine was in Metallica." Good for you. It doesn't matter. Age means dick. If I was 20 years older and saying the exact same things you wouldn't give a ****. But no, I'm younger than you so I'm automatically an idiot. I'm tired of this stuff. When I come to a new board, I give everyone across the board the same amount of respect, regardless of post count or moderator status. I don't know who any of you guys are and you don't know a damn thing about me. We're even. In the few days I've been here, I've had people on my case for suggesting someone check for a low fret, then I made the terrible and unforgiveable mistake of saying that EMG's lack low end. I haven't said anything about anyone until they decided to get personal with ME. I haven't started it, I'm not here to do that, but I will stand my ground when someone tries to whine about MY OPINION.

I don't know everything. I've made this abundantly clear elsewhere. The problem is when I express an opinion, I don't do so in a cautious and apologetic tone, afraid that I might offend someone. My opinion is not humble. Ever. But it's just that MY OPINION. I seriously don't know how anyone that gets worked up over SOMEONE ELSE'S OPINION can function correctly in society.

In addition, I am giving constructive criticism based on experience. I've used EMG's, I've used Invaders, I have used Lawrences. I am a total low-end freak and as such, my experience is just as valuable as your or anyone else's.

I have never spoken on a subject I know nothing about. My thoughts and opinions might go against the accepted norm sometimes, but I don't talk about stuff I don't know about. Period.