Headstock shapes

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tokia, levison(uk) I have seen exact shapes...IMO I don't think it would matter if you did it in the shape of fenders

Yeah, ok thanks. I pretty much understand it all now. Basically since it is a one off I will be ok to use a company headstock shape if I wanted.

Well, not exactly.

Legally speaking, you're still stealing someone else's design, regardless of whether the owner of that design notices or takes action. It's still wrong.

Legally, he has not expressed the intent to sell his guitar design with a copy of any other company's headstock. I see no legal or moral conflict here.

I could draw a picture of Minnie Mouse and Disney couldn't stop me from doing that. Now, if I tried to sell the work and then tried to sell many copies of my drawing of Minnie Mouse, then Disney would have a huge problem with that and I would be in violation of copyright laws.

Legally, he has not expressed the intent to sell his guitar design with a copy of any other company's headstock. I see no legal or moral conflict here.

Maybe i'm not making myself clear. He's not liable for commissioning the instrument, nor would he be if he were making it himself for his own personal use.

The point is, the luthier he's commissioned to make the instrument is taking money to build a neck with a Fender headstock that infringes on their trademark. The buyer isn't at fault, but the luthier who takes the money is.

so what, I'm tired of boyscout nancy boys ruining life. if you wanna be a 100% legit nacy boy, then make your own headstock. if your tired of major companies screwing you and everyone else, then stand up for yourself and steal their design. lol i sound evil..... :D

that's the problem with school today...they teach you to hate big business when,if it wasn't for big business,your parents would not have jobs and neither would you when you graduate....you take care of big business,and big business takes care of you.

otherwise you go out and hunt for your food every day...it's not going to leave you with much time to play guitar....not that you could afford one without a job

and you don't sound evil...you sound uninformed(polite way of saying ignorant)

uhhh you sound uninformed (my way of calling you dumb, jk) my mom works for the state, and my dad doesn't have a job because he's lazy and fat

without big business,there would be no tax money to pay your mom's salary,and there would be no unemployment programs either

actually you are just making yourself seem stupid. making fun of boy scouts? ***? what does that have to do with a guitar headstock design, except for the fact that you clearly don't have many morals and aren't bothered by laws, not to mention what other people think. I am a boy scout, and the truth is, how cool would it be to have someone steal your stuff? maybe not your ideas, but your car, or guitar? wouldn't you care about things that you value? If you don't, then stop posting because I don't really care what you have to say.

Dude, take it easy i wasn't making fun of boyscouts (heheheheh).. Fine you guys are right, Fender deserves to not have their headstock designs used. They deserve that respect. I wouldn't like it if i was in my huge mansion driving all my cars, and i found out some guy used my headstock design. That would probably spoil my day

Hi, your right, I did slightly contradict myself by possibly wanting to use Fender's headstock design and then wanting the builder not to make another one of my designs. I think I will attemt to draw up a custom headstock shape. It's the more unique way of doing things since I have a uniqueish body. Thanks guys.

Hi, your right, I did slightly contradict myself by possibly wanting to use Fender's headstock design and then wanting the builder not to make another one of my designs. I think I will attemt to draw up a custom headstock shape. It's the more unique way of doing things since I have a uniqueish body. Thanks guys.

Good luck, I hope it goes well. :D

the legal way to get around the headstock patents is to have the builder add an outward notch. this little bit of wood can easily be sanded off with a file. thats how ibanez used to do it and that is how saga and other companis can do it. if you are mass producing a legalized patented copyright and selling it directly into a market without consent it is extremely illegal although a bit stupid sounding. back in the 70s the little companies that didnt want to get sued would add a bit of wood onto the outside of the headstock. fender agreed to let this slide entirely because if the notch was sanded off it would be by the customer and not the business. i still think custom designs are the coolest.

and about this whole "big business" thing, there is always going to be a company bigger than the rest. its not their fault if people buy their product. if we were to destroy all the big corporations and burn their factories down, then another company would come right in and take their place a the largest. at one point you have to draw a line that cannot be drawn. im tired of all these damn anarchist wannabes thinking they are so "punk" for thinking they know somthing about the govt and businesses when they cant see the forest though the trees. bitches like that are so pathetic.

if your tired of major companies screwing you and everyone else, then stand up for yourself and steal their design. lol i sound evil..... :D

As a professional designer and an amateur musician, i cannot support stealing creative work.

I bust my ass every day creating original and unique work, and i rely on people paying for that original and unique work so i can pay for things like the house i live in, the car i drive and the food i eat.

If people steal my work, i get very, very angry, because they're not just stealing my work, they're stealing my livelihood. If you steal from me, i will make sure i take it back from you tenfold.

How's that for evil?

Life's easy when you live with your parents. Try making it on your own for a while and you'll be glad that some big corporation somewhere is giving you a paycheque so you can afford the necessities in life, and maybe have a little money left over for a computer, an Internet connection and guitars to play.

I think I will attemt to draw up a custom headstock shape. It's the more unique way of doing things since I have a uniqueish body. Thanks guys.

Now that's what i like to hear! If you show us the designs in progress, i'm sure we'd be happy to critique them (constructively, of course!)

Good luck with it! At least show us the finished product!

Does anyone know how I can post a picture without having to sign up and get it hosted? I'm ready to show one of the designs i've come up with and see what you guys think of it.

fullservesite.com is free...

then type in this url(i assume your user name will be the same)

http://fullservesite.com/biohazard/

that takes you to the index you just created...then cut and paste the link of your pic into the img box