Guitar of the Month for August

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's all about the walnut bass for me; it's a bass, a neckthru, and a beautiful instrument all in one!

Drak, "Bones" is beautiful, but you have plenty of custom quality of guitars (even though you don't sell them, I still maintain that they belong in the pro section) and this was the first bass by primal.

Great job, everyone. I know how much love, work, and time goes into these things.

had to vote the bass primal, great work!

drak, awesome as usual, fantastic finish and woods, but the shape wasnt my cup of tea.

the thing about the strat that put me off was the stickers, otherwise a worthy mod of a squire!

boggs, nice work! i like the headstock on the first one quite a bit!

(even though you don't sell them, I still maintain that they belong in the pro section)

That's cool, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I am an amateur builder 100% thru and thru. I don't even own a single floor standing piece of machinery, and my workbench is a 1920's radio console. :D

Primal, you're the man.

I voted via the category thing mentioned in the contest thread. How many builds has the builder done? How much did he build? How original was it? How good of a jod did he do?

By this logic:

Primal, MzI and Boggs were the least experienced builders in the thread, they get a 1 up.

From there they all get another 1 up for original shapes.

After this is where the decisions are made:

As far as I can tell (MzI didnt mention specifically i he made the neck or not, but by the pics on his site, it seems he didn't) Primal is the only one who built his own neck.

His shape, other than Boggs's was the most original, and I think it was more aesthetically pleasing than the others.

Everyone loves to vote for beatiful guitars (Drak :D) but the fact of the matter is, he bought his neck just like any other joe, and Primal built his and it looks great, which sets him apart.

It's all about the walnut bass for me; it's a bass, a neckthru, and a beautiful instrument all in one!

Drak, "Bones" is beautiful, but you have plenty of custom quality of guitars (even though you don't sell them, I still maintain that they belong in the pro section) and this was the first bass by primal.

Great job, everyone. I know how much love, work, and time goes into these things.

Ya Drak, you should definately graduate to the Pro division! :D

I was going to vote for mine... :D , but I decided to vote for what I thought was the best one there and Drak got my vote... After all the work I put on that guitar I realized how muck more one had to put to get a finished product like the "Bones", Primal that's a sweet bass, I love walnut, but I will never vote for a raw looking guitar if there is one that want thru the agony I went coating, sanding, coating, sanding, etc... and then buffiong to get an immaculate glossy finish... All the other ones were great, I liked Boggs friend guitar but the neck killed it... Still great job all, until the next one...

Up the Irons....

Then what is the point of having two divisions? I thought that the "amateur" division was put in place to allow the builders with less experience to get recognition. To me the divisions indicate the quality of the guitar. I do consider Drak's work to be professional, right on par with LGM's entry for this month.

I don't mean to sound like an asshole or anything, I just wanted to explain my reasoning for thinking Drak should enter the Pro division. I mean his work is simply amazing!

Then what is the point of having two divisions? I thought that the "amateur" division was put in place to allow the builders with less experience to get recognition.

the builders with less experience usually don't have a business

therefor go in the amateur section

considering him to be professional is like considering him to be a stapler

ie. he's not B)

he's good enough to be a professional if he wanted though.... :D

I think this is being resolve by Brian and the moderators... I remember reading a trhead about it this month but I don't remember were. Also as you can see in the GOTM thread for september there is only one place were you can post, and I do think that if you build "pro" quality guitars you should be able to compete with them. And even thought that was your first bass, I wiould consider it by it looks a "pro" quality instrument... So I think thats up to the Moderators to find how to make it a little more fair in upcoming GOTM's but on this one in accordance with te rules, Drak is on the amateur division. I see no point on disscusing this over, like I have read this many times, and seen lot of people getting hit for taking shots at the rules, read the rules, and comply, ...

I have to go with Boggs #2 because I know the amount of work on the inside of that guitar that my friend Tim built and how crude the equipment was that he made it with. I don't feel it would be ethical for me to vote for my own, so I didn't. It is unfortunate that you cannot see ite innards of Tim Fuss's Kubicki-like chambered body and floating-braced top.

All of these guitars are truly outstanding and Drak's workmanship is especially outstanding. Very cool design of the horns as well. I like the uniqueness of it. I never was a cookie-cutter guy, so I really appreciate the thought in that design, but as I said... this being Tim's first ever guitar build, and knowing what is inside of it and how it was constructed, I have to give my vote to him. I am more than delighted to see that someone other than myself saw it, too! Very cool! Boggs

I should have mentioned that the Boggs entries were our first ever builds. I do understand that the shape of my padauk #1 is not a traditional shape, so I also understand if it is thought of as being a bit too "unusual" in shape for voters. Put it in your hands, though, and it would be a different story... :D The offset waistline means player COMFORT if it doesn't mean beauty... B)

I voted for drak, but it was hard to choose between that and the bass :D

Its probably not the right interpretation, but I had always thought of the pro/amateur division being there to segregate the people who handmade an entire instrument from those who built a guitar from parts and refinished it, or refurbished an old instrument or maybe even built a body and used a premade neck.

Its probably not the right interpretation, but I had always thought of the pro/amateur division being there to segregate the people who handmade an entire instrument from those who built a guitar from parts and refinished it, or refurbished an old instrument or maybe even built a body and used a premade neck.

this is a good way to separate the groups,

I voted for Drak!

Maryland Connection all the way!!!!

What's up with that, I'm in Maryland too, don't I get half that vote???

What's up with that, I'm in Maryland too, don't I get half that vote???

Are you implying I owe you a case of beer and a $20.00 TOO?

:DB):D:D:DB)B)

:D

Well if you put it that way... Make the case of beer a case of Pepsi One, (I don't drink) and you can send me a body blank for the $20.00,

Thanks... B)B):D