Some tips for using rattle cans

Ok, so lets go this rout for a minute. If someone were to want to take the plunge and get a real spray gun what would a hobbyist (less than maybe 10 guitars a year) realistically need to budget to get quality equipment. Including a compressor (strictly for painting), gun and whatever else what would one expect to need to set aside? Any specific recomendations on brands/models? I have done the math and doing a few guitars RIGHT with rattle cans does add up quickly. So im wondering how much I would have to put up at once to do it right.

so, $$ wise, dave, the stewmac nitro compared to createx? for a Randy Rhoads V, black with white pinstriping?

You can't compare Createx to NItro. Createx is water based and is used for the main colors, the nitro you will still have to use to top the ceratex. Createx is what I used here

DSC01782.jpg

I used a white opaque base, then pearl green,transparent pthalo green on the edges over the bare ash, and then a blue pearl pinstripe. Once that was done I top with DEFT Nitro.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01773.jpg

Go to this page to look at the color selection that Createx has. If Mr Art don't have it there are tons of places that sells them, including a local Michaels. You can use a 2 oz color bottle for like 6 guitars or more if you know how to spray.

Jay5, I haven't used a compressor yet, I use the Propel cans with a $20 aztec airbrush, and the clear from spray cans. I plan on getting the compressor and atleast the Badger 400 for the solid colors and bases, I don't know how it will work with clears, and a M100 if Idecide to start playing with complecated graphics.

My point will be that you don't need the stuff but it will make your work a lot easier.

• 3 years later...

im planning on painting my current build with spray cans, though i have never used rattle cans as far painting a guitar, i would personally prefer to use a polyurethane based spray can for a nice solid orange, with a white pinstrip going down the body and a clear coat on the back of the neck, but orange on the headplate... anybody mind helping me out with finding a good brand of paint can to use? or would anyone i could find in a hardware store work?

ive been looking around a bit and been mostly finding stuff on laquer cans, not sure if theres a faq on polyurethane cans, if there is sorry i missed it =(