Translucent Laquer?

AlGeeEater....dude you have basically asked every single possible question that could be asked in obtaining the correct products, you haven't even started yet!

I would seriously advise you to READ and READ and READ the forums and tutorials here and at reranch.com. There will be answers for 99% of your questions, and then you can come here when there is 1/2 things you need assurance with.

Dude i already started and ai already read all those articles at reranch and here...so :D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Post a pic, how bad is it. I usualy sand down after the first 3 coats with 800 to get all orange peel down. But before you begin, did you painted with the metalcast alone? if you did, leave it like it is, get a clear like the SUV one or any other compatible with duplicolor, and spray 3 coats, about 3 hrs between them, then color sand with800. What will hapen with the metalcast is that this is a transparent color, if you sand uneven it will look darker on spots and lighter on others. The guitar I'm doing now is coated on metalcast blue, over dark blue metalic and silver, after this I coated with Mcast 2 coats, and then 3 coats of clear. now it was sale to colorsand, just keep it slow and keep in mind if the dust or liquid turns the color of the metalcast, stop, continue on the sorruonding areas and then recoat with clear, you don't want to go thru the MNcast paint...

Here are some pics, notice the base coat white, then the base coat silver, on the painted body, the light blue is the metalcast over the silver base, after this I applied 3 coats of clear and then I colorsanded.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01098.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01100.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01125.jpg

acually its really not that bad. Not like other projects. I cant get any pics prolly till tomr nite because my cam is lost in my hosue somewere. But i sanded it down wit 800 and the whole surface is flat and dull. and yes its the metalcast. the anodized blue. I have about 8 cans of duplicolor clear. But i did the metalcast with no primer. I want the veneer to show thru.

Thats a pretty sweet paintjob too :D

I hope this helps lol

It won't, but on your case I would suggest, you shot one more coat of metalcast blue, say tomorrow morning, and then at mid day shot your 1st coat of clear and another about 3-4 hrs later. them 2 days later, colorsand with 1000, and repeat 3 coats in the same fashion, (this is the 3's technique from re-ranch, but leting it dry and additional day) .let dry 2-3 days and colorsand with 1200-1500-2000 and polish, if you want to play it safe wait a week before doing this. this type of paint's burn thru preety good so the scratches won't show up.

Dust off the first pass, wait 5 minutes, then do the whole guitar in medium heavy passes, about 3 should be good if you are not too good and want to avoid runs, wait about 5 minutes between passes. Once done with the 3-5 passes thats one coat, step away wait 3-4 hrs and repeat. then let is rest until tomorrow, you can wait another day if you want and colorsand with 1000 and repeat, I think that 32 coats of clear won't give you enought depht, so repeat with 3 more coats, and then a week later, colorsand starting with 1500 if the coat dryes without orange peel and go to 2000, thne polish.

It will take about 20-30 minutes to do a coat of laquer, then you wait...... only 3 coats a day and wait....

Yes it takes a long time, but no longer if you had a run and had to sand it down a few days later! :D Do it slow, do it right and do it one time only.... Be in a hurry nd suffer the concequences if ya mess up.