Name: Delta Cloud - becaus it's a slide guitar and it has cloud inlays.
"The woods and materials used, especially if there is something unusual in there!"
- One piece "A.... frican mahogany" body, and flame maple neck were sourced locally.
- Fretboard, headstock overlay, pickguard, and tailpiece (all gaboon) were from allenguitar.com
- 1/8" flamed maple top from evilbay.
- MOP "pendant" headstock inlay
- Pearloid fretboard markers and binding
- Dual action truss rod
- TUSQ nut
"Scale length(s) and other specific configuration details"
- 25" scale length, no radius, 23 frets.
- 1.75" wide at the nut, approx .80 thick at the 1st and .90 at the 12.
- Low medium fret-wire, counter-sunk bridge.
- Set neck construction, body is fully hollow with a block under the bridge.
- Just over 5lbs fully assembled.
"Electronics, pickups, etc."
- 4 x 90mm lipsticks - 4.1 Ohms. A 3 way toggle, a 6-pole-4-throw rotary, two volumes (Bourns) and a grease bucket tone control with bypass via push/pull.
- LP/master-tone wireup with a twist - 6 different modes for the 3 way;
- 1) outside coils single, 2) inside coils single, 3) outside vs inside parallel, 4) bridge vs neck parallel, 5) outside vs inside series and 6) bridge vs neck series
"Is this your first build, fifth or five-hundredth?"
This is my first 6 string, and 2nd scratch build ever. (editor: second build, second GOTM win also!)
"A bit of information on your own background as a builder helps give context to your build."
I worked at a cabinet shop in high school and solid surface/laminate cabs 20 years ago. I have assembled/finished quite a few guitars before. I do a lot of diy electronics.
"Was it built in the garage, at school, work or in your own shop?"
I have a humble garage... thank you to my wife for parking in the driveway and my neighbors for not complaining!
"A summary of the build's history. Was it built for yourself, friend/family or a client? Did you design the instrument and its specifications or was it built to spec?"
I owned a 90's u2 reissue and always regretted selling it. I built this for me, to scratch my 'slide itch'. AFA design, I built a simple photoshop doc where I used fret2find (projectguitar!) and my humble photoshop skills to make my own plan.
"What were the inspirations behind the instrument and why were various build aspects chosen? Any background on what makes it special?"
My requirements were: 'something that would feel a lot like my old dano', but better materials, and to leave my mark on it. I also had a goal to challenge my self with more complicated inlays, set neck, angled headstock, and binding.
Additionally, just wanted to say that I'm very greatful to be a part of this community! Your input directly contributed to details like how to join my 'super-thin' top, getting my finish right(somewhat), and more. Thank you so much to Andyjr1515, ScottR, Curtisa, Skyjerk, Mr Natural, Norris, Komodo, Lwguitar, Guitar Goomba, ShatnersBassoon, 2.5itim for guidance, encouragement, comiseration and/or just responding to my build posts!
Video demo here: