Jump to content

Entry for November 2019's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

avengers63

Veteran Member
  • Content Count

    3,788
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    30

avengers63 last won the day on October 11

avengers63 had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

140 Excellent

About avengers63

  • Rank
    GOTM April 2011
  • Birthday 12/18/1969

Profile Information

  • Location
    Belleville, Illinois

Recent Profile Visitors

3,295 profile views
  1. For maybe the first time in my history, the wiring had -zero- issues. I NEVER get it right the first time. But to balance that out, the action is ridiculously high. Good thing I'm not gonna gig with it.
  2. Little by little..... And I'm now out of shielding tape. It turns out that I don't have the proper screws to mount the pickups. Alternatively, the route is pretty tight in the corners. So tight that I really don't think the pups are gonna move willingly. In other news, I don't think my 1/2" brad point bit can get any more dull.
  3. Good gawd... I forgot how long it takes to properly lay out the peghead.
  4. Let's get some shit done today.....
  5. Before I polish the finish, I'll be leveling and polishing the frets.
  6. I finally had time to buff up the finish. I'm out of Maguiar's, but it's just as well since I haven't oiled the back yet. Almost there...
  7. For me, $200-300 for a top is a small fortune. It's all relative.
  8. I got the neck 99% shaped today. The heel area still needs some real "by hand" love. Normally, I'd have all of the shaping done before attempting any finishing. BUT.... I start a new job next week. This screws with everything because I'll be on the road M-F, only home on the weekends. Clearly, this significantly cuts into my available time. I'll be using my "away time" to let the finish cure, then finesse the heel when I'm here. I'll be finishing the heel shaping before I buff out the top, and putting a towel down so I don't gouge it on the table. I'm also using poly on the top instead of lacquer. No, poly doesn't need that long to cure. but why wouldn't I let it sit when I have the opportunity. It's water-based, so I need to get some linseed oil into the top first, so it still has that "warm oil glow" we all love so much. The oil is still wet in these pics, but y'all get the idea.
  9. Interesting wood grain on that body. Is it getting a basic clear coat, or are you planning on coloring it somehow?
  10. Perhaps. But this is what I have on hand, and I'm a cheapskate.
  11. The binding route on the headstock was about 1/16" too deep. shit Well, nothing to be done about it now. On to damage control. I took some binding and split it with my beloved scrollsaw. This will give me much "shorter" pieces to mess with. All I could do was glue the pieces above the other and TRY and make up the height. Then I bathed the join with acetone and binding "sawdust", hoping to melt the shavings into a slurry and jam it into the line. Success was spotty. An error this glaring eliminates it from future GOTM contention. cest la vie Some judicious sawing, chiseling, and filing gave me a pretty decent shelf for the plastic nut. To be 100% clear, I don't actually use a nut per se. I use a zero-fret. This is a fret placed where the traditional nut would be. This makes any un-fretted strings ring with the exact same tone as the when fretted, making the nut material a moot point. The plastic nut then becomes a string guide rather than a true nut. [voodoo] So much is made of the nut material influencing tone. Once the string is fretted, the nut is out of the equation. Therefore a zero-fret makes a consistent tone regardless, eliminating the nut material question entirely.[/voodoo] Next up is gluing on the fretboard. Here's the mandatory "march of the hammers" shot.
  12. I got the control cavity and pickups routed out this morning. The c/c was was mostly freehand, but I have a template for the pups. That's all for outside today, but I brought everything inside to glue on the binding while watching TV.
  13. The best available solution was take a cutoff and glue it onto the flat spot. The other option was to steam off the veneer, add some wood, and re-veneer... and that wasn't gonna happen. It hasn't been sanded yet, but the pics below show the results. You won't see anything from 3 feet away, and it will be hard to see up close unless you're looking for it. So I got a late start today. The heat set in, and the end of my garage where the router table is was solidly in pure sunlight. Me sweating like squeezing out a sponge means I wasn't getting much done today. All I was able to do before pooping out was rout the body & headstock for the binding, put a roundover on the back, and hog out most of the pickup and control cavities.
×
×
  • Create New...