Jump to content

Entry for August 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
ENTER HERE

whalehazard

Veteran Member
  • Content Count

    104
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    5

whalehazard last won the day on October 27 2013

whalehazard had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

24 Excellent

About whalehazard

  • Rank
    Nov 2013 Winner

Profile Information

  • Location
    Minneapolis, MN

Recent Profile Visitors

1,442 profile views
  1. What's the radius on the fretboard? I'm replacing the fretboard on an SB900 for a client and the one I removed is inconsistent...seems somewhere between 9 and 12.
  2. Hey guys, it's been a long time since I've been on here. Still got lots going on, but haven't done a good job documenting. Had some really terrible luck this week... Thursday night I was at my band's practice space to load the van for a radio performance. The band we share the space with was taking a break from practicing at the time and the guitar player's lefty LP Custom was leaning against his amp, face toward the amp. I moved our drummer's hardware case which knocked over his cymbal case, which in turn bumped the LP. It landed face first on the only tiny patch of floor not covered in carpet, right on the nut. He said no problem, it happens all the time, and it's never broken. I picked it up and the first thing I noticed is the infamous Gibson "smile." It's a very minor crack, and I'm obviously repairing it for him for free, no big deal, it'll be good as new. I still feel really terrible, even though it was only indirectly my fault. It was sitting right next to an unoccupied guitar stand! I know it took a huge knock in resale value, but I don't know what I can do except fix it, and maybe offer him a discount on a custom build in the future or other repair work. He's lucky the guy who broke it can fix it, but I'm still wallowing...any advice? Anybody had anything like this happen? What's the worst thing you ever did to a client's guitar? He wasn't even a customer, this is just random real world bad luck. Maybe it would have been better if I'd been working on it. Balls.
  3. Siren FZ TV Yellow finish on one piece swamp ash body and quartersawn cherry neck. East Indian rosewood headplate and fretboard with white fiber and rosewood binding. Inlay materials include recon stone, gold glitter plastic, and white pearloid. Schaller roller bridge, with Bigsby tailpiece. Grover Deluxe tuners. Natural bone nut. Chunky 50's profile neck. 24.75" scale. 14" radius Forearm contour and shaped heel for comfort. 50's Gibson P90 with new pole pieces and cover. This has a built in fuzz pedal, which is partially controlled by the proximity of the player's hand to the copper plate, which acts similarly to a theremin antenna. Second knob on the body is for the volume of the effect, other controls are wired to trimpots inside the control cavity. The LED indicates whether the switch is on or off, and it gets brighter the closer your hand is to the antenna.
  4. OK! This took far too long to finish. Sanded back to wood twice, had to touch up the clear a couple of times, spray more to cover witness lines, etc...TV yellow on ash with waterbased lacquer is tough! This is finally done and will be picked up by its new owner tomorrow. It sounds and plays great. It has a built in fuzz pedal. I'm not supposed to talk about what pedal it is, the owner works for the company that makes them. One of the pedal controls is controlled by a theremin-style antenna, which is attached to the copper plate on the pickguard. This thing makes some crazy sounds. The LED indicates when the pedal is on, and it gets brighter depending on the proximity of your hand to the plate. PM me if you think you know what it is, but don't post it here. Pics! The color in these is not super consistent, but you get the idea.
  5. Long time, everybody. This one's been a real pain. Long story short, I had to start this finish over twice. Trying to do a TV yellow with waterbased lacquer is very tough. In the end I cheated and sprayed two coats of rattle nitro between the yellow and the grain fill. But, I'm very happy with the final result. The test I posted earlier was no good. Likewise, starting with a white base went out the window. The first pic here is a pretty good indication of the color, the detail shot is much more orange. Ever seen TV yellow on ash before? I think it's pretty sweet. Now to cure. I'll be back in a couple of weeks!
  6. The top is great...so warm and inviting. Excellent build.
  7. Engraved the headstock logo detail and sprayed a white base coat. Making good progress.
  8. I think I've got the color about where I want it. I got the go-ahead from the client, but the filler on the final version will be slightly less red. This picture is pretty close to what it looks like in person. Also...truss rod cover.
  9. This is beautiful...love the zebrawood. And your lam necks are killer as always.
  10. Oh boy...in the process of spilling a $32 dollar can of conductive paint on the floor of my basement, I put a small ding in the back of the headstock. It'll iron out and will be painted over, I think I'm more frustrated about the paint.
  11. I tried to talk him out of it, but no luck. It'll still be cool. I'll probably do another one of these in the future with some tweaks.
  12. I think so too, but he wants my take on TV yellow. Still figuring out how best to do it on the ash, but I'm almost there.
  13. Got this one assembled and wired up. The client is very happy with it, so it's time to finish sanding and finalize some color tests. Hopefully I'll start spraying this one this weekend.
  14. These look great. I love RD's. Looking forward to watching these builds.
×
×
  • Create New...