Jump to content

Entry for April 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About Spykerwolf

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Location
  • Country Flag
  1. Thanks for the kind words Andy, I'm actually looking forward to hear how it sounds This was the first guitar I ever played, and learned on ... so it's got some sentimental value to me. I'll be able to borrow a bridge clamp from a friendly luthier, so I should have the bridge actually connected this time! Just need to finish all the (hand) sanding first...
  2. So I started sanding off the stained finish. :? Still need to finish it, but this is just a progress post:
  3. This is the cut on the top ... not sure how to deal with it yet.
  4. It's been a while since I've done anything to this guitar, kind of given up hope after some more mistakes. I glued the bridge without sanding the surface, so as I tuned up the bridge slowly came apart. The top also has a little tear in it, and since it was winter then I stopped working on it completely. However summer is approaching which means I've got some daytime left after work, so I'm determined to salvage something from this wreck. I met a luthier close to home who can help me glue the bridge (and give some general guidance). I tried to remove the excess varnish blobs with a razor blade, but because I didn't apply clear coat - the finish started to come off. I decided I might as well remove the stained finish and go for the natural look + some oil (haven't decided on this one yet, any advice?). This is how it looked when I removed the bridge:
  5. After about 2 coats of stain, I decided it was time to do the varnish. I realized I didn't apply enough stains, because some of the paint started fading as I applied the varnish. In future I will also use lacquer instead of varnish, but I already bought varnish so had to use it. Neck before varnishing it Sorry for the blur :?
  6. After sanding it with 1200 grit sandpaper, I decided to stain it. I used English Mahogany, and stained everything except the fretboard. I kind of regret doing that now, since it looked so nice el natural The top looks the worst by far Ugly, ugly grain popping out D: The neck looks nice in my opinion FAIL
  7. I sanded the top too much and ended up sanding almost through the whole top :? At this stage I was very discouraged, but decided to continue since I've come so far
  8. Some more photos after the old finish was sanded off - before everything turned to custard :oops: Accidentally sanded too much on the side
  9. Unfortunately I lost some photos during the transformation, but this is how it looked like when I removed the tuning pegs, nut and bridge. It was a mission to remove the bridge - had to remove a hair dryer and a chisel ... or was it a spatula? I also sanded the edge since it had this ugly black line everywhere - that was fading! Sanding the old fretboard Headstock being sanded
  10. Hey guys. I haven't done a build thread before, but decided to start one in any case. I've been working on the cheap family classical guitar that we brought from South Africa (nothing special). Unknown brand "Angelica". I haven't done any sanding/gluing or any other type of DIY work before really, hence why I decided to start on this. I'm still busy with it, but thought I'd share some photos of the transformation. Before photos - lots of dings and scratches, headstock was cracked that I roughly fixed before: Will upload some more soon
  • Create New...