Jump to content

Entry for February 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!


Established Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by KempGuitars

  1. Some other bits going on. Got these two custom builds that I've been shielding and prepping for assembly, just waiting for the last of the hardware...
  2. Sorry dude, I missed your post. Yes, it's an odd colour. Looks very blood-like and almost orangey until it was sealed, now the red has popped and is awaiting clear coat. It will, however, be a matte finish in the usual Kemp style
  3. Seen naked in the first post of this thread, now the SS has some colour...
  4. Thanks for the comments My templates are made myself from MDF. In terms of keeping them damage free, as @ADFinlayson said; watered down wood glue or thin CA
  5. Happy New Year to all on PG!!! A new year and a new thread, so I thought I'd kick things off with a little preview of what's going on in the workshop as we glide through January at an already seemingly fast pace...
  6. KempGuitars

    December 2019

    Insane build! Love it... Congratulations winning GOTM
  7. Just entered this thread, looking at your first post and already love it! Edit: Yes, cool, looking forward to seeing you finish this... And great recovery on the fixes, that's what it's all about. Keep at it!
  8. Hello Project Guitar! We're approaching the end of 2019 - my 10th year of building guitars - and I wanted to share the latest with you before the 2020 build thread is created. I have been fixing broken links (again) across all my old threads - links below - and also added some more photos to the last big posts (see above) 2016 thread - http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/48727-kemp-guitars-2016-build-thread/ 2017-18 thread - http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/48992-kemp-guitars-2017-18-build-thread/ 2018 Pt2 thread - http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/49407-2018-final-post-from-kemp-guitars-or-is-it/ Enjoy and hope you all have a great Xmas and New Year! See you in 2020!!! 2020 thread: http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/50627-kemp-guitars-thread-2020/
  9. Hello PG! If there are any Kemp followers out there, I do apologise for the lack of updates over the past several months. As mentioned previously (I think), due to workload and time restraints, I have been concentrating on Instagram and Facebook. However, I thought I'd pop here now and give you all a quick insight into the last couple of months and what's been happening in terms of finished builds. The first is the blue DC seen above, but now it's white. The respray was done at cost with the purchase of this one... Then we've got the prototype KX4 in black - what a beast! Followed by this yellow DC which is on its way out of the workshop to a happy owner as we speak... There are a few more in progress (sprayed and ready for assembly) and I will get them posted as soon as they're finished. We've also got some new orders just started, one of which is being made with plenty of figured Maple - here's a little taster...
  10. Decided not to update every step of the way as I am running a business and a lot of my builds tend to look very similar at this stage, so here's a jump forward to where we are now... On the workbench... The current custom batch all machined, routed and drilled, and now ready for handcarving the necks and body contouring. These include that 15/16ths size Strat body seen in my last post, two DCs, one SS, that pointy KX4 in the background (stock build) and a KM2 (no body yet). I'll start posting more as they are completed
  11. 15/16ths size custom Strat body complete with cavities and neck profiled, all ready for some good ol' hand carving in a couple of weeks... Moving on to the next build tomorrow
  12. Almost went with cream/aged pickups and chrome hardware for a real vintage/80s hair metal vibe but decided to take it modern with the white/black instead, but yes, I see where you're coming from
  13. Thank you again for your positive words Must admit, being my first "handcrafted" build since the decisions I'd made end of last year (and now gone back on), this one is up there as one of my favourites at the moment. Not as "metal" as I'd like to be going with my guitar designs but the combination of the metallic blue body and Black Walnut neck is stunning... And, coincidentally, this one is up for sale right now (sorry, won't post details here in case I get banned or something)
  14. Thank you Norris Yes, I agree on the colour combination. Originally off/vintage white, I thought the blue and Walnut worked really well
  15. Why thank you, Mr ScottR. That's 10 years of full-time building for ya... although it hasn't been without its moments - the Pinky Dinky being one of the most memorable, of course
  16. I'm in the deepest, darkest reaches of Cornwall, not far from the Lizard.
  17. Excellent. I see you're in the UK too so if you're ever stuck for anything then feel free to give me a shout
  18. Nice work! Hurry up and get that workshop ready
  19. Kemp Guitars' latest handcrafted offering is complete - Alder archtop DC body, Black Walnut neck with flat U profile and our brand new "straight-pull" string angle design headstock, Ebony fretboard, Gotoh tune-o-matic bridge and 381 Series tuners, Kent Armstrong Super Distortion (bridge) and IronGear's award-winning Texas Loco (neck) pickups, Graph Tech TUSQ nut and stunning metallic matte "Intense Blue" finish... Loving that blue combined with the Walnut neck
  • Create New...