Jump to content

Entry for July 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

hooglebug

Veteran Member
  • Content Count

    669
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    4

hooglebug last won the day on June 23 2018

hooglebug had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

21 Excellent

About hooglebug

  • Rank
    Multi Winner GOTM
  • Birthday 11/20/1980

Profile Information

  • Location
    wakefield

Recent Profile Visitors

1,761 profile views
  • Roi

  1. well its taken far too long and it doesn't look like I imagined it looking (every time I see a nice pink/purple evening sky i'm annoyed) but I still like it and at least its done. and sounds really nice. even before you plug it in. the pickup is an old bare knuckle p90 (dont ask which, I cant remember). tuners are graphtech ratio (with buttons I made because I love that shape) which are really nice tuners. bridge is also graphtech with a ghost system. anyway, heres some pics you can see some remnants of the pink that would NOT come out right at the bottom you can barely make it out but there are the Japanese characters 'sakura' on the 12th fret (cherry blossom if you didn't know) which was the most fiddly bit of inlay to cut by the way, the top and back are from the same plank of wood - it cost £25. not bad for that price!
  2. i'm really tempted to just smash the stupid thing. its doing my head in. this will be the 7th time (I think) I've sprayed the top. I cannot get it to look even remotely like the back. I might have to just strip the whole thing and start again. or smash it. either way i'll pissed off
  3. well you'll have to wait because I STILL haven't got the top to look like the back yet and its doing my head in. I've just sanded it back to wood for the 5th time. I THINK I've got it cracked now though. I had for some reason assumed i'd used a powdered dye for one of the layers, but now I think I must have used a liquid one. we'll see I guess. also, I think I've gone off the idea of painting pink behind the flowers. i'll have to try and see
  4. well I've been trying different colour thingies for a while and finally thought I had a good plan. so today I excitedly started spraying... and the back looks pretty good. I think I'm gonna keep going on the back. but the front. oh dear. so that's coming off tomorrow and i'll try to get it looking more like the back. by the way, the pink I got is bubblegum pink, which sounds horrendous, but under the blue (with a few highlights on top of it) I think it works
  5. yeah its clearly going to happen isn't it. before I've finished sanding everything (because I hate sanding) im trying out some colour ideas on the back. so far I have it in my mind that im going to stain blue and fade it out towards the bottom third, then in that clear bottom third do pink, sanded back, then the whole thing will have a light blue almost wash over it, so the blue gets deeper and the pink goes a touch purply, so its like those pinky purply clouds you get on an evening. then maybe a slightly darker blue burst that fades away again. and finally some pink painted on behind the flowers (not like Barbie pink or anything, calm down)
  6. I just did that piece as a test to see if I liked it or not. its just burnt on with my soldering iron so its easily sanded off if I didn't like it. but I do. and I think it'll help the flowers stand out more once the colour is on as well. i'll just have to wait till I've done all the sanding before I do it otherwise i'll be doing it over and over again
  7. poll time do I add shade/add small branches, or leave it as it is.
  8. so good news...no, wait, the opposite of good. you know, the other thing. it seems heat makes my wrist worse. and we're currently in the middle of the most ridiculously terrible hot weather. so for the last week or so I have been able to do precisely bollock all
  9. thanks for that, a bit late for these ones as the hole is already too big and they're going to be push on ones, but a good reference for another time I just couldn't leave it blank now could I?
  10. the Dremel was clamped vertically in a bench, I put a dowel in the hole of the knob and just did it freehand. kept looking at an existing knob I had and got as close as I could
  11. in between world cup games (my wrists been so bad I've watched every single match, even the crap ones!) I did the other two. one of them needs a tiny bit more shaping on one side but its just sanding them now
  12. I tried to drill the centre hole, or rather expand the centre hole that was already there from gluing them up (I used a toothpick to hold them in place), but for whatever reason it drilled off centre, so I had to Dremel it instead. I pushed a dowel in there to give me something to hold onto, clamped the Dremel with a little sanding drum in a bench, and started shaping. so heres the first one roughly shaped.
  13. well, I just glued some veneer to some ebony, cut a little slot in the veneer and glued a sliver of ebony binding into the slot for a marker, then cut some smaller circles and glued them on top and cut the knobs out so they look like liquorice allsorts. tomorrow i'll see if I can make a nice hole in the center to put the bits I've cut from some other knobs in so I can get them onto pots, and then at some point if my wrist can stand it i'll just try shaping them with a Dremel like I did the tuner buttons
×
×
  • Create New...