Voting November 2018's Guitar Of The Month is now open
MAKE YOUR VOTE COUNT HERE!
Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'ritter'.
Found 2 results
i was going to finish this before posting all the pics but the issue with my pc and camera dates being off leads me to post now as I come across the pictures. it starts with a plan- I try to find a pic- as "straight on" as possible of the whole guitar- that I know the scale length for. In MS Paint- i remove as much of the unnecessary as possible so as to save printer ink and paper using the eraser function. I already have a jig for a six string ritter neck- so- I just need part of the neck/nut to confirm I have the right scale when I blow this up. I measure from nut to approx saddle position on the bridge and a little math- I use the skew/resize function in MS Paint to increase both horizontal and vertical aspects of the picture. I print out a one page- usually of the bridge- to see if its in the ball park of being correct- My bridge has a 3.5" string to string spread- and from measuring the strings-this was about spot on- so I print out the whole thing- and check scale from nut to mid bridge adjustment travel- the plan isnt laying perfectly flat- but the measurement is about spot on 35" scale. I will be using a 34" scale for mine- but wanted the picto 35" scale as I know that is the scale for this particular instrument. cut it out (sort of) glue to mdf. I probably should quit being a cheapo and buy some spray adhesive- but I just use titebond and spread it oh so thin with my finger. If it gets too sticky to spread- I just spritz some water via very fine mist on my finger and it spreads like nothing. The half assed lines you see on the mdf was me roughly outlining where to spread glue. I must have been drinking- geez. 3 rd grader would do better. I use a roller to press out from the center. If any of the edges are not visibly glued down- I put some on my finger and go along the edge- I hate when you sand the edge and the paper comes loose. i debated between using alder for the body and poplar-I will be using a figured maple top- think I am going to try the poplar. Saving the alder for a more vintage type instrument. The body will be painted on this anyway. at least that is the plan.
you either think this is sexy- or fugly. either way, I had a chance to play one of these, and I knew immediately after playing it I had to build one. Heavy as hell, big as hell, but there was something about it that just drew me in. I had so much fun building a carl thompson copy a number of years ago- I wanted to build something that required carving. This puppy requires carving alright. creating the basis of my drawn out plans. the lovely 6 string TOM bridge that hipshot built me- thanks to Prostheta for suggesting I give them a ring. I ended up having to slightly increase the butt end of the bass due to the string spacing on this bridge. the 8/4 hondo mahog board that will become the body. ritter uses 3 piece maple for the neck so I will follow suit. body glued up, I will run this in my router thicknessing bed and bring it down to just north of 1.5" thick.