Acrillic JEM bodies

mlj

Hi guys,

Here is the plan:

I would like to make an Acrillic JEM body (same material as the Ibanez JS cristal planet). Problem is that I can only get the acrillic material in pieces of 2050 x 1250 mm with a thickness of 45 mm. And believe me when you order that amount, it's expensive.

Here is my solution:

I can take 16 body's out of this piece. I'll have them routed with a CNC router.

Finally I sell 15 body's and keep one to myself.

My question is:

Is there anyone interested in an acrillic JEM body.

If so let me know (names and email adress) and as soon as I have enough I'll contact you and we'll discuss the rest.

Oh, I almost forgot. The price of one body will be $ 400,- at the most maybe even lower, depending on the number of body's. (this of course is the price without the shipping costs, I live in Holland)

Let me know.

Thanks,

Johan

carp thats a lot of money. I would but i cant spend more than 200 and that how much somepeople sell a full LP acrylic guitar on ebay. No offence. I thinking about making a body. How much was the 2050 x 1250 mm with a thickness of 45 mm piece of acrylic. Maybe ill buy some acrylic off from you.

carp thats a lot of money. I would but i cant spend more than 200 and that how much somepeople sell a full LP acrylic guitar on ebay. No offence. I thinking about making a body. How much was the 2050 x 1250 mm with a thickness of 45 mm piece of acrylic. Maybe ill buy some acrylic off from you.

I think ive seen acrylic jem style guitars on e-bay before. It would probably save ALOT of money if u looked there for awhile.

Just found an old thread on this selfsame topic. Here's some advice from Maiden69:

I would suggest using fiberglass for a mold better than plaster cast. Just like he said, get a body the shape you want, get some vaseline (if mold release agent is not available and apply a very thin coat on the body. I have used WD40 gut I don't know how it will work with wood. Now get a fiberglass kit, I use the weaved one better than the matt.

1. If you want a smooth mold first do a coat of gel coat, if not available do a thick coat of resin let it sit for a while as it will begin to cure.

2. after its almost fully cured get the fiberglass and start laying it on the back of the guitar, I suggest doing the back so that you can rout for whatever combination of pickup or controls. once the resin has fully cured...

3. Start carefully prying the corners as this will release the guitar (you did use the mold realeasing agent, vaseline right?) now you should end with a mold to make a guitar out of Acrylic, Fiberglass, carbon fiber or whatever you want...

Just mix the acrylic and pour over your mold, after adding the realease agent ( again) and once it is cured just pry it out like you did the guitar body. Now you are ready to rout the controls and pickup cavities. You will need a variable speed router, or use a viriac to slow down yours since the fast speed of wood routed will melt the acrylic.

Acrylic just like plexiglass can be polished smooth. It will take sanding to 2000 and then using several other polishig compounds (formulated for acrylic) to bring it to a nice shine..( just like polishing a clear coat). you can use a heat gun, but you have to practice a lot, the heat gun will melt the surface hence bringing it back to a shinny surface, I will suggest you only do this inside the cavities and if brave enough in the top.

I have done this before but for paper weights and stuff like that, and fiberglass molds for autosound speaker kick panels and subwoofer enclosure. If you have any other question on this, If you are going to do it let me know.

PS. the fumes from Acrylic are highly toxic just like the urethane paints so use it in well ventilated areas and if possible use a respirator.

PPS before doing this go to a Guitar Store and pick up a BC Rich acrylic guitar and play it, I have and I can tell you that it sound like ****....

I would suggest using fiberglass for a mold better than plaster cast. Just like he said, get a body the shape you want, get some vaseline (if mold release agent is not available and apply a very thin coat on the body. I have used WD40 gut I don't know how it will work with wood. Now get a fiberglass kit, I use the weaved one better than the matt.

1. If you want a smooth mold first do a coat of gel coat, if not available do a thick coat of resin let it sit for a while as it will begin to cure.

2. after its almost fully cured get the fiberglass and start laying it on the back of the guitar, I suggest doing the back so that you can rout for whatever combination of pickup or controls. once the resin has fully cured...

3. Start carefully prying the corners as this will release the guitar (you did use the mold realeasing agent, vaseline right?) now you should end with a mold to make a guitar out of Acrylic, Fiberglass, carbon fiber or whatever you want...

Just mix the acrylic and pour over your mold, after adding the realease agent ( again) and once it is cured just pry it out like you did the guitar body. Now you are ready to rout the controls and pickup cavities. You will need a variable speed router, or use a viriac to slow down yours since the fast speed of wood routed will melt the acrylic.

Acrylic just like plexiglass can be polished smooth. It will take sanding to 2000 and then using several other polishig compounds (formulated for acrylic) to bring it to a nice shine..( just like polishing a clear coat). you can use a heat gun, but you have to practice a lot, the heat gun will melt the surface hence bringing it back to a shinny surface, I will suggest you only do this inside the cavities and if brave enough in the top.

I have done this before but for paper weights and stuff like that, and fiberglass molds for autosound speaker kick panels and subwoofer enclosure. If you have any other question on this, If you are going to do it let me know.

PS. the fumes from Acrylic are highly toxic just like the urethane paints so use it in well ventilated areas and if possible use a respirator.

PPS before doing this go to a Guitar Store and pick up a BC Rich acrylic guitar and play it, I have and I can tell you that it sound like ****....

now what if you are doing a Les Paul. The routing wouldnt work

To do a guitar with a carved (i.e. unroutable) top and a back rout (unroutable due to the top) you'd need to do two (or more) pieces, simple as that. Do them different colors or something.

Or, f you made a fiberglass mold of a les paul front and back, then you'd have to cut the mold in half to get the first body out, reglue it, fill it, cut it in half to get the next body out, sand/scrape off the mold lines, and repeat for however many bodies you were making. If it's even possible to glue the mold back together with any accuracy.