Removing clearcoat build up

Lots of coincidences today! I just finished doing that very same task. I'm not a perfectionist by any means and the type of tuners I'm using (Grovers) cover quite a bit of the holes. But regardless, I did the job without any chipping. I used my drill bit set. The bits I used (cobalt penetrated) have VERY sharp flutes. I made sure I knew what size the holes are supposed to be beforehand. Then I started boring out the dried laquer using a much smaller bit and worked my way up through the set until I reached the hole size. This is done very carefully with the FINGERS, btw. A drill would work faster but its not a risk I'm willing to take.

You could use dowels and sandpaper but you would have to go the same route, smaller to larger. Another thing you need to consider is that the useable length of the posts on the pots and switch(es) will now be 3/32 to 1/8" shorter than before. Lets hope you still have enough room for the washers and mounting nuts, :D .

and also there is heavy buildup in the control cavity that makes it even more extreme, prhaps hand turning a forstner bit inside the cavity at the pot hole up close to the wood may help?

OUCH! So you're having to deal with it from both sides! Forstner might do the trick inside the cavity. Another option could be to cut the poly around the pot size, down to the wood, with a razor knife and then dremel out the area you don't want. Or make a drill bit attachment out of 3/4" or 1" dowel, stick some 80 grit sandpaper on the face and sand it out. But the paper might gum up fast. Lots of options anyway and you sound like a handy type of person. Good luck with it! :D