Buying Router

criss

Im about to buy a router soon and was after tips on what to get and what not to get . Will be useing it for binding , pick ups etc .

any thoughts would be a great help .

cheers

You can make your own side following jig, as ive seen done in the tourtial section.

If I were you I would try sears, they have great routers, I got a router, and a router table there for only 89 bucks. Works great.

If you want a router for 20 bucks, I have an old portercable that hasnt been used in years, but if you plan on doing more than a couple of guitars you should spring for a nicer router.

I also have a craftsman router thats a bit nicer, that I would let go of for 30 bucks.

I'm also looking for a cheap router in Australia. My kids want to get me one for my birthday soon and they havent got a lot of coin to play with. Is GMC ok? I want to rout pickup cavities and maybe do some binding later. What would you suggest as minimum H.P. and plunge depth? Would a plunge router be better than fixed? Could I get by with a plunge router with a plunge depth of 35mm and 600w?

criss...Porter-Cable has a router set that includes a fixed base and a plunge base which utilizes the same router body. It is a fine tool, although the cost is in the $199-250 range....but you get what you pay for....variable speed...tons of power.

Amazon has them for a good price on the sets...1 3/4 hp and 2 1/4 hp

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...e&s=hi&n=228013

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...2?v=glance&s=hi

how much do you want to spend?

i dont think the same router for routing a template is the best idea for routing binding.

all the binding routers ive seen are from stewmac.com and are base attachments for dremel tools.

My advice would be to buy the best you can afford - maximum horsepower etc. Get one that will take 1/4 & 1/2" bits. Variable speed is nice, but you can get a speed controller for about $20 that will work fine with a less expensive router.

asm, I have the Dremel attachment from Stew Mac and their router set-up for binding. I like the router bit with different sized bearings a lot better than the Dremel thing. I use a Dremel quite a bit, but a router is a must have for me.

I would not suggest getting a craftsman router, and i know at least one other person on this forum that will agree with me there.

Maybe mine is just an older model, but there's just way to much plastic, to date i've had to epoxy the collet locking switch (push and slide switch), and the bracket that holds in the collet in the middle of the router on the bottom.

After looking at the porter cable routers at home depot i was very happy with the aparant quality. less lose fitting parts.... and it's made out of metal, not plastic.

I've heard of other brands that are higher priced, but for the money porter cable appears to have the best bang for buck.

I have a Bosch fixed router, and I sold a Ryobi plunge router. Both nominally 2hp. But the Ryobi just couldn't do the job. Routing a pup in an ash body was beyond its abilities. The Bosch, on the other hand, had no problems.

Both 2hp. go figure.

The Bosch will not route quite as deep as a plunge router, but I have had no problems doing guitar depth routes.

Bosch also offers a package deal where it is one router chassis, and 2 router frames, 1 fixed, 1 plunge.

I would suggest a real good fixed router over a so-so changeable router as the better and more useful deal.

Guitar Ed

After inflation, my $.02 ain't worth much.

it's roughly 3 years old, possibly more, but i've only just started really using it in the past year, the locking switch broke about a year ago

If a product is built well it shouldn't need a warantee, it's a plus, but you also don't want to spend half your time waiting to get the router back from the repair or warantee dept.

I would suggest one of the fixed/plunge base combos. I have a Dewalt 2 1/4HP base combo, really nice, though it was like $450 :D . I also have the Craftsman 3 1/2HP monster which I keep in my router table. If you can afford one get a base combo, and I would suggest staying with the major brands; Bosch, Porter Cable, Dewalt, Makita, Hitachi, etc.