Using CD cases to make Bobbins

shakyhands

Hi, I have made a couple of pickups using old black CD cases as Jon Tirone has at his site. My pickups sounded ok and it looks like I'm going to have some problems getting Forbon or similar so will be using this method for a little while. Wondering if I could paint them different colors or would there be safety problems if potted? Can anyone tell me also of any other material apart from Forbon or CD cases that could be used to make a reasonable looking pup?

You'll have to test out the plastic...it depends what you pot it in...wax would probably melt them...

I saw a site somewhere where the guy made a cool looking humbucker using CD's themselves

I've made them out of all sorts of stuff...how are you cutting the cases without cracking them everywhere

Also tried molding them with epoxy...anyone tried that?

psw

Hi, Yeah I heard that someone was using CDs themselves for bobbons. I had trouble at first with the cases. tried using a straightedge and utility knife. Took ages and ended up with cracks. Then tried using a jewelers saw, that I was able to borrow and made a little saw table for it. It turned out better but still hard work. Took rough edges off with utility knife held at different angles and scraping along edges.

Just wondering what (if any) effect the thin metal coating on the Cds would have on the pickups. PSW, youre in Australia arent you? I got onto a wire supplier that said they could get fibreboard for me, but when I contact them they say, theyre still chasing it up. Do you mind me asking you what else could be used that would appear similar to vulcanised fibreboard? My young brother wants a cple of pickups made for him and I'm looking forward to making them for him and doing some fancy wiring as per different schematics I've found here and there on the net, but he wants them to look like genuine articles (and so do I). Must say that the cd case bobbins didnt look too bad, but would like something else like fibreboard if possible. If anyone is going to use cd cases, drill pole pieces holes first.

Shakyhands

CD cases are too hard...I'm not sure if Cd's would be any easier...

The metal I'm pretty sure is aluminium, or at least not magnetic and so thin that it would have little if any effect...certainly nothing you would hear! :D

If you want to get something that looks pro...buy a plastic bobbin from someone like all-parts...check out a helpfull music shop...get them to let you look at their parts catalogue

I don't know where you can get authentic mags easily, what are you using?

Have you tried ISOLA in Victoria...thats where I got my wire from and they do other stuff...

You can send over to Jason Lollar who makes Forbon Bobbin pieces

Forbon is basically a glue impregnated paper product...

I've successfully made bobbins by laminating paper with various hard setting glues (try common wood workers PVA)...I used to do bookbinding so have some presses, etc but still make my own for something like this out of wood and a few bolts and wingnuts...or use a brick! B)

Just make sure you use plastic (I use those A4 plastic pockets) so that it doesn't stick to anything while it dries..

Another good idea is to print the bobbin shapes etc on the top of laminations to make cutting easier...you might even find a hole punch at a tool supply to wack out the holes with a hammer rather than ripping into them with a drill (dont try that with plastic cd cases though!!!!!!!!!!)

You can even save the environment by recycling paper...

For extra tough stuff use some open weave fabric such as calico with the paper...You can use epoxy but then its hard to cut as you've basically have reinforced plastic....

Sorry not to provide the links, a little short of time...if you can't find them let me know...here, PM or Email me

Hope this helps you and others...love to hear how your getting on

psw

p.s. Your in Australia right?

Thanks for the posts. Yeah wire comes from Isola. about $25 per kilo plus copper surcharge around $4 thats for 0.063 PUR. 0.056 is about $37 kilo from memory plus surcharge.

Was contacted by Sales Manager about fibreboard. they were putting prices together for me. Havent got any set prices yet from them. Magnets come from Oriel at Wauchope NSW, about $1.50 each though. The last handful I got was from smashed pickups at our local tip recyclers market. There was an old cardboard box there with computer bits and pieces and old guitar bits and pieces (including the pickups. The bobbins werent usable though. I managed to free the magnets and reuse them. It was just a practice run so I was just hoping for ther best. I was able to work out the poles and hoped for the best with their gauss. Am making a gaussmeter up.

Laminating paper sounds great to me. Making bobbins out of CD cases is hard work. saw some made out of thin wood. Looked good.

Many thanks for your ideas psw. :D

There's a place in Brisbane.."Reverse Garbage" that sells industrial recyclable products. Friends have bought wood, perspex, metal and other bits and pieces for guitar building there. I'm going to check it out soon. May even find something there suitable for making flatwork for bobbins. I'll keep you posted of my findings there. Please correct me if I'm wrong but am I assuming correctly that to laminate, I'd just glue layers of paper,carboard (?) Then apply pressure and let to set for awhile til absolutely dry and hard. When hard then sand down to desired thickness? Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this.

:DYep, thats the way!

I like to use thin card...put the white printed design on the back so that on one will know...lightly sand the top after dry for that authentic forbon look...or paint them with nail varnish, any color you like...very snazzy :D

About 3 or 4 layers should do...soak the glue well in (perhaps water it down just a tad)...smaller pieces dry quicker. Also note that paper has a grain to it (it bends easier along the grain)...this is important as it expands when wet and contracts when dry according to the grain...If you are able to provide sufficient pressure you could alternate the grain like in plywood to get it stiffer. If the thing bends or cups when dry, it will be because of this grain so some experimentation is required B)

Another material is that usefull is that thin plastic from notepad covers and folders. Cuts easily and bends well when scored with a knife...glue with super glue...laminate like above if you like.

I started using these materials as they are easy to work with, cheap, easy to get and was able to make some strange custom shapes and very small coils for my sustainer driver prototypes...if you've seen that thread.

good luck...don't cut your fingers off

psw :D

Thanks mate.

Actually while having tea tonight (dinner for US readers :D ) I thought of plastic things that I might be able to laminate and I thought of all the plastic folders I have around the place. Just got back to computer and read your post about notebooks. Thanks for all your imput here. I think I'm driving my wife crazy here. All I've been talking about lately is pickups,and different guitar building plans and ideas.

:D I know the feeling shaky...my wife has given up on rolling her eyes...she just doesn't want to know anymore!

She even drew up a roster so that everything around the house gets done and is shared equally...she refused to alot time to my little experiments...what gives?

pete

Ha Ha. I suppose I cant blame her. My 2 sons are guitarists, my dad was a professional muso and my brother plays in a Gold Coast duo and does solo work. Everytime we get together for BBQs or family get togethers, Yep you guessed it, we talk about nothing else but music. Funny thing is, I met my wife back in 1971 at a venue I was playing at with my dad's band. I suppose after all these years, she got a bit tired of carrying amps and speaker boxes into venues for me. :D

By the way, your thread on sustainers is great.

Bill

Ha Ha. I suppose I cant blame her. My 2 sons are guitarists, my dad was a professional muso and my brother plays in a Gold Coast duo and does solo work. Everytime we get together for BBQs or family get togethers, Yep you guessed it, we talk about nothing else but music. Funny thing is, I met my wife back in 1971 at a venue I was playing at with my dad's band. I suppose after all these years, she got a bit tired of carrying amps and speaker boxes into venues for me. :D

By the way, your thread on sustainers is great.

Bill

hmm i am thinking fiberglass resin..

give it a shot. works wonders. word of advice. do not mess up on the coil before you pot it. it will never come undone without destroying the coil

wood will work also it has been done on a few custom luthiers gutiars.