Unleashing the Mod from Hell

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kev and Brian in regards to the bandwityh issue how about the in progress site becomes a place where we can only email Pics and a brief description of works through to the site and anyone wishing to compliment these guitars. Basses and whatever can only do so in another linked forum. kinda seperating the praise out and yet still keeping the origianl topic free for those of us on dial up? Is that possible or something that can be looked into? :D

one smiley... ahhhhhhhhhhh

Why not just extract the pertinent content and/or link to Frenzy's cleaned-up tutorial on his own site? I would say leave the thread how it is, but put cleaned-up tutorials in the tutorials section of the ProjectGuitar main site. Maybe set up sub-sections there for solidbodies, hollowbodies, electronics, finishing, etc. that reflect the structure of the forum. Then pin a link to the archives in the forum sections.

The main site should be for static and archived information, and the forum the place for discussion. Using the forum for archiving useful content will result in pages of pinned threads at the top of every section.

this is one of the best and least conflicting posts i've read yet :D

don't know about you guys but when i want a tut i always go to the main site first

thats what the tut section's for

on other forums it's annoying in the same way as people hate sigs when you open a forum section to see 9 or 10 pinned tutorials at the top. it seems cluttered and your not always sure where to go to get the info your after, it'd suck to see PG forum like that

Frenzy- glad things worked out. We all dug your tutorial, and it's cool you're gonna hang out to toss us all the cool info you've got. It's appreciated, by me and the rest of the site (even the lurkers).

kev and Brian in regards to the bandwityh issue how about the in progress site becomes a place where we can only email Pics and a brief description of works through to the site and anyone wishing to compliment these guitars. Basses and whatever can only do so in another linked forum. kinda seperating the praise out and yet still keeping the origianl topic free for those of us on dial up? Is that possible or something that can be looked into?  :D

one smiley... ahhhhhhhhhhh

Eddie- Not a bad idea. I'll chat it over with Brian and see what we can come up with. I was thinking just a clearer topic title for each, but...we'll check into it. A "Flea Would Love These" sub-topic could work as well.

(BTW- it's "puss!es". LOL)

We're not gonna do a ton of changes all at once, so everyone can relax. I'm still working on the list of things we'd like to get accomplished. Some things we will give you guys a heads-up on (like the sigs), and some will just happen magically overnight. If there are rule changes, it will be posted in Announcements.

If someone is looking for very specific info, they should first use the Search feature. On this site, it works great. In the begining it was easy to rift thru the topics quick to find what you were looking for. Now, with *SO MANY* posts and kickass projects completed and in progress, it's a lot easier to let the computer find the info for you. Brian, myself, and the other Mods will do our best to keep it organized, but again, some stuff will inevitably slip thru. Let us know and we'll get it to the right spot.

Drak- you *should* come to Jemfest. Lots of kickazz players, lots of kickazz guitars, but we could use a few more tech guys. :-D

Actually that a really good point KI. Im thinking from the in progress side, but still I have to say your right!  B)

yeah your right about the in progress stuff, but they don't really need to be pinned, so it wouldn't matter too much.

if an in progress thing finishes up and is kinda tutorial like, a tut version that's cleaned up could be put on the main site, and the forum would still be free of overpinning :D

Actually that a really good point KI. Im thinking from the in progress side, but still I have to say your right!  B)

yeah your right about the in progress stuff, but they don't really need to be pinned, so it wouldn't matter too much

if an in progress thing finishes up and is kinda tutorial like, a tut version that's cleaned up could be put on the main site, and the forum would still be free of overpinning :D

Fantastic were instant einstiens! haahaha :D

This may be a stupid idea but I'll throw it out anyway.

As new folks go to sign up they come to the page with the forum rules that they must agree to. Face it, few read them. After that page have another page with an extra big headline stating "I agree to use the search function" and have a few simple hints on how to use it effectively.

This won't stop the endless "how do I" threads but it might reduce them a bit. If it's put in their faces at the door there might be a better chance that some will be aware of the info available.

An FAQ page with most of the basic newbie questions answered might not be too bad an idea but that means more work for the already overloaded mods.

When entering the site, there seems to be an abridged rule set, followed directly by the full rules, which never seemed to make sense to me. Perhaps what would make more sense is just a basic "newb primer" page instead of the abridged rules, with things like "Before you post, remember to use the search feature in the top right corner of the screen", and a link at the bottom to the full rules, as well as a link to the forum itself?

Not a pressing issue, just something that's always irked me a little.

This may be a stupid idea but I'll throw it out anyway.

As new folks go to sign up they come to the page with the forum rules that they must agree to. Face it, few read them. After that page have another page with an extra big headline stating "I agree to use the search function" and have a few simple hints on how to use it effectively.

This won't stop the endless "how do I" threads but it might reduce them a bit. If it's put in their faces at the door there might be a better chance that some will be aware of the info available.

An FAQ page with most of the basic newbie questions answered might not be too bad an idea but that means more work for the already overloaded mods.

When entering the site, there seems to be an abridged rule set, followed directly by the full rules, which never seemed to make sense to me. Perhaps what would make more sense is just a basic "newb primer" page instead of the abridged rules, with things like "Before you post, remember to use the search feature in the top right corner of the screen", and a link at the bottom to the full rules, as well as a link to the forum itself?

Not a pressing issue, just something that's always irked me a little.

Great ideas guys. I like it.

It should help with the "how do I" threads.

The best asset we have here are members. More to the point, veteran members. You guys have read all the posts, in every thread. If you see a repeat and know where the original is, go ahead and post a link to the original thread. "Hey- he's asking about radius sanding blocks....that was in my thread over here...and in Drak's thread in the Tools section...". I'm not saying you *must* do that, but if you get the urge, and know off the top of your head where the stuff is, go for it.

If you want, you can contact an Admin or Mod and we'll move or lock the repeat thread. I don't think any of us would take offense or say you're playing "Junior Moderator". With a Forum this size, with this much info, any and all help is appreiciated.

By posting a link to the original, you're not only helping us out, but you're helping the new guys out in a couple of ways: you're showing them where the BIG pile of information is, showing them that this is a cool place to hang where people help each other, and how they should conduct themselves when they become veteran members.

Input on how to make this Forum better is great. We like it. We may not impliment *all* the ideas, but we'll definitely put it on the table for discussion.

And for the record, you guys are already kicking ass. I used to come here and 'Check New Posts' once a day. I'd get 6 pages on average. 4 of those pages were Off-Topic or Rant.

As of this morning, I've only got 2 pages to go through...and only a few topics in Off-Topic (maybe 5; I didn't actually count).

So far, so great. Thanks!

I also think that a archival page would be very handy. That way you click on the archives and it's like a tree. You can pick for example:

Solidbody

Acoustic

Tools & Jigs

Then it would go into other areas. For example if you clicked Solidbody.

You get the choices like this.

Body

Neck

Electronics

Fretting

Finishing

etc.

Then within each one of these have the best of PG threads in each one of them. You know kinda categorize things. Just a suggestion.

Instead of having alot of reference places all jumbled up you can click on one link and explore from there. That way you can find exactly what your looking for.. Say you want to find out about Stew Mac Truss Rod's.

Solidbodies/Neck/Truss Rods/Stew Mac Truss

You'd find the things you wanted with alot of information this way.

I just got back on this site from yesterday and saw that some people were still talking about the tutorial misunderstanding between Matt and myself.

I told Matt that I misunderstood that the tutorial was going to be left as is and didn't realize that it was going to be shined up for presentation on the main site. When I heard that Brian and others were improving on this site, I got a bit excited and immediately thought of that tutorial since I thought it would be a great representative of this site. I think everyone knows how well it was done and I was hoping to make it easier for newcommers to get through.

As usual, it appeared to take on more fronts as others began to misunderstand what I was saying and I misunderstood where Matt was comming from, ...The more people that got into it, the bigger and worse it seemed to get. I don't know how to avoid this since people need to express their opinions but I think it had the potential to get real bad as more people began to get involved. Misunderstandings on top of misunderstandings, ... yuk B) !!

Now, that being said, that issue was tiny compared to some of the arguments and misunderstandings I've seen here. Matt contacted me and we are now completely cool with it. :D Sorry for the confusion and the ensuing snowball effect.